Mario Kart

•Tyler•

     Mom is waiting for me in the kitchen when I come through the back door. The house is quiet, signaling that Maddy, Jay, and Zack are most likely gone. I sit down across from Mom at the pine table, my head hanging as I play with my hands.

  Mom's sigh echoes through the room. "I know you want to help this girl, but please try to tell me if you're staying over more than you intended to next time."

   "Yes, Mom," I reply obediently, glancing up at her face.

 "You're released. The main reason I wanted you home was because Josh came over. He's downstairs."

   "Ok," I reply, getting up and stepping down my rickety wooden stairs.

   Josh is waiting for me at the bottom. He taps his foot like an impatient mom. "So..." His arms are crossed, and he raises an eyebrow. "Who's the girl?"

   "I never said anything about a girl," I say, pushing past him into my room. 

  "It's pretty obvious if you're at a person's house for three hours to check on their concussion status." Great. Mom must've told him where I was. 

   "Can we just play Mario Kart now?" I ask, already booting up the game console. 

  "Sure," Josh shrugs. I let out a breath of relief too soon. "But only on one condition: if I win, you have to tell me who the girl is. If you win, you don't have to say anything. Deal?" Josh holds out his hand as he grabs the controller with his other one. I look at it. 

    "Two out of three," I say, grinning. Nothing can get past Josh. 

    "Deal." We shake and start. I choose Mario and Josh chooses Luigi. 

    Josh wins all three rounds. 

   A/N: That was a little short. Sorry :/ Stay Alive, frens!