Chapter 9

Candice squeezed her eyes shut, trying to hold onto sleep for a moment longer. But an intense headache was coming on and her body felt strangely rigid and fatigue. As her consciousness returned, she started to remember the events that led up to her current state and she jolted awake.

The first thing that she noticed was that she was in a strangely nice room. The lighting was dimmed, moody, and the furniture was classy and functional. She flexed her hands and lifted her legs; she wasn't bound. In fact, Candice was sitting in a nice armchair that felt like clouds. The thought of Eric sent her into another panic, but the boy was in an identical chair next to hers.

"Ah, you are awake," a strange voice sounded and Candice tensed. She could hear his footsteps as he walked towards her, and she tensed for whatever that was about to happen. What she didn't expect was to see a suited young man with blond hair and blue eyes.

"Who are you?" Candice asked stiffly. Appearance can be deceiving, she reminded herself. He looked oddly familiar, but Candice couldn't remember where she'd seen him before. The man chuckled and handed her a glass of water. Candice suddenly realized how thirsty she was and she accepted the drink.

Meanwhile, Eric finally came to. He all but leaped to his feet and glanced around wildly.

"Eric! It's okay," Candice called. Eric looked at her and then at the stranger. His expression was blank, which made Candice uneasy. He had been easy to read before, but now it felt like there was a barrier between them.

Eric opened his mouth, presumably to ask the same question as Candice, but the stranger interrupted. "I'm glad you are here safely," he said to Candice, ignoring Eric. Candice felt uncomfortable under his scrutiny. It didn't feel hostile, but there was a predatory sense that put her on edge.

"You still haven't answered my question," Candice said. There really could only be one possible reason why he had 'rescued' her. He wanted the inheritance, too. Since he didn't answer, again, she asked another, "What do you want?"

The guy smiled at her question and Candice shivered. He looked borderline crazy for a second.

"I want what I deserve," he answered cryptically. Candice wondered if it was his way of getting her to offer money, but the crazy face he made just before made her think twice. Plus, she was at his mercy.

"What do you deserve?" Eric asked. His question was innocent enough, but the stranger tightened his grip on the table he was leaning against until it was white. Candice shrunk into her armchair, wanting to put as much distance between herself and this stranger. He was starting to look more and more like a crazy person.

The stranger took a deep breath and walked behind the desk in front of Candice and Eric. The blinds were drawn over the window behind him, but the lack of light told Candice that it was still night time. She scanned the desk, hoping for some kind of identification to go on, but the only thing she found was a White Jewelry logo.

White Jewelry.

She knew who he was!

"You are my father's assistant!" Candice exclaimed, finally placing his face among her memories. What was his name? Dan? "David!"

David smiled, but it was a smile that didn't reach his eyes. Candice felt like a bucket of cold water was poured on her, her initial excitement gone. She thought her father had arranged David to keep an eye out for her. But now, it was clearly not true.

"I'm surprised you remember me," David confess and sat down on the tall office chair behind the table. "You never have much care for the family business."

Indignation welled up inside Candice. Eric had made a similar statement, but neither of them had any idea how much she cared about her family. Just because she didn't like business didn't mean that she didn't pay attention.