Chapter 24

Trusting Candice White was the biggest gamble Jerome had ever made in his career.It had clearly played off.

Officer Spencer was completely against the idea. He was in favor of approaching Eva first. Compared to the Eva White who shone with confidence and hope for the future a year ago, the girl in front of them looked unhinge. She had finally stopped thrashing around like a maniac and instead was glaring right at Candice. Jerome felt uncomfortable just at the fringe of the receiving end.

"This can't be true," Eva asked, her voice carried through the busy room like a whisper in the wind. Jerome hated to think what would happen if they had so much as hinted at the truth to Eva White. The entire operation would have been blotched before it even started.Eva's head snapped towards Candice, lurching forward so fast that Eric Goodman didn't have time to catch her. "You made all this up! You use the money you stole and hired all these actors—"

Jerome took another step to shield Candice as Eva White careened towards him. He promised her that she wouldn't be too caught up in it and he intended to do that as best as he could. "Sorry, ma'am, we're going to have to ask you to come with us to give your statement. Please remain calm otherwise we will be forced to restrain you."

Eva ignored him and Jerome caught her before she could weave around him to attack Candice. He made eye contact with Agent Spencer, who finally acknowledge the situation on Jerome's hand and sent two agents to pry Eva off him. Jerome was glad that she didn't recognize him under full tactical gear. It could be catastrophic.

The room emptied out one by one as people were escorted to their safe house for debriefing and detaining. "Wait for me here," Jerome told Candice. She seemed deflated, tired. From the comms Candice was wearing, the confrontation had been one for the books so he didn't blame her for feeling drained.

"Everyone is secured," the comms on his ear told him as he approached Agent Spencer."Copied. Be ready to move out in five," the FBI agent replied and nodded at Jerome. "Well done, Detective Wallace. You have been an invaluable asset to the team."

"As agreed, I'll bring Candice White on another vehicle separately and debrief her," Jerome replied but it was also a reminder. He had never worked with the FBI before but if they could make him dropped the White case before recruiting him, who was to say that they won't change their mind about what they had agreed with Candice?

The agent nodded, his eyes narrowing slightly and the two of them looked at each other for a while. "You have good instincts and stand up for what you think it's right. Perhaps there is some potential in you after all."

Jerome broke into a happy dance in his mind but he tried his best to keep a straight face on to look professional. "Thank you, sir," he said. He even almost saluted him but luckily held off the urge. Becoming an FBI agent was something he had never entertained before but this trip had made him realized that it was what he wanted. He took a few deep breaths to calm himself down; it was more of a passing comment as opposed to a 'come work with me'. For now.The room had cleared out and Jerome made his way back to Candice, who had sat down by the window and was watching the outside garden.

"You did great, you help us bring them to justice," Jerome said. Candice smiled, slowly, as though she was uncertain that she should as she tilted her head to face him.