Prologue

"———, come on!" a man shouted, and a girl hurried towards him. "I'm coming, dad!" the girl shouted back, only to trip and fall face first into the mud.

"———!" the man shouted, running back to the girl. He helped her up, and they continued to run.

The man kept a tight grip on the girl's hand, and the girl didn't complain. A little pain was much better than the alternative.

They stopped abruptly when a bunch of cloaked figures surrounded the two, with one coming forward.

"You're making this more difficult than it needs to be, Augur." the figure said, their cloak being untouched by the pouring rain.

"There is no way I'm letting you get away with this." the man said, moving the girl protectively behind him.

"You say that like you actually have a choice." the figure said, snapping their fingers.

A swirling black portal appeared behind the two, slowly pulling them in.

"That portal leads to the Dream Realm. There is no way of coming back once you're sucked in." the figure said, and the man grit his teeth as he held the girl, who was shaking from either the cold of the rain or fear.

"———, my little sweetheart, stay safe." the man whispered into the girl's ear, and the girl widened her eyes as the man pushed her away from the hole.

"Dad, no!" the girl cried out, watching as the man walked towards the hole and a small Pokémon appeared next to him.

"Hoopa, close this after we're through." the man instructed, turning to look at the girl one more time.

He smiled, causing the girl's heart to lurch in her chest.

"Dad, no!"

The man and Pokémon stepped through the hole, and it closed after them.

"Hmm. Not exactly how I was planning on that to go, but now this makes my job easier." the figure said, walking towards the distraught girl.

The figure brought out a Pokémon, looking down at the girl with disgust.

"Gengar, Hypnosis." the figure ordered, and the Pokémon put the girl to sleep.

"Lady Persephone, what are we to do with the child now?" one of the cloaked figures in the circle asked.

"We erase her memories."

"And then what, my lady?"

"Get rid of her."