Chapter Three: The Augur Cometh

Running

Running

Running

A stumble...

"Nicole!" the man shouted, running back to the girl. He helped her up, and they continued to run.

He had a purple beard, but she couldn't see the rest of his face.

'He seems... familiar'

"Who are you?!" Nicole shouted, but the man didn't answer. Her hand slipped through his grip, but a shorter girl kept running with the man.

"Ni-ol-!"

Huh?

"-ico—!"

What?

"NICOLE!"

A thump.

"Ow~" Nicole moaned, rubbing the back of her head.

"Sorry about that. You looked like you were having a bad dream." Nicole looked up and saw Wyatt there, holding a hand out.

"I... guess so." Nicole said, rubbing the back of her head.

"Why don't... Why don't you go and take a shower? I'll bring you your clothes." Wyatt asked, looking away with a slight blush.

Nicole blinked, then smiled. "Thank you, Wyatt." Nicole said, and headed to the bathroom.

"So..." Wyatt looked at Damian, a slightly annoyed expression on his face. "You haven't even gotten your gift for the Augur yet?" Damian looked down, ashamed.

"I... I forgot. I was so busy helping out with the smaller chores that I forgot." Wyatt sighed.

"I heard there was a rare stone you could get in a cave in Shade Forest, but you'd need a Pokémon to travel safely." Both boys looked up at their father, and Nicole had to repress a shudder at that.

"No! Absolutely not! Damian and Wyatt are just children!"

"Everyone else in town has already got theirs and have left!" Wyatt argued, annoyed.

"And you two aren't going to follow them! You'll get yourselves killed!" their mother argued.

"Why do you care? It's not like your our real mother or anything..." Damian mumbled, eyes downcast.

"I raised you since birth, Damian! And you, Wyatt! We gave you a home!" their mother said.

"You two aren't capable of raising a plant, let alone a Pokémon! You two are irresponsible, antisocial, and you can't even-!"

"That's ENOUGH out of all of you. You're embarrassing us." their father said, and both boys looked down while their mother was flushed red.

"How about you let them have a Pokémon while going out to find the gift for the Second Augur, and if they come back fine, they can keep the Pokémon." Nicole suggested, and the family looked at her, causing her to shift uncomfortably.

"...alright. But only if you go with them." their mother conceded, and Nicole sighed in relief.

"Let's head to Professor Sylvan's lab. She should still have some Eevee's to hand out." Damian said, pulling Nicole and Wyatt behind him.

They ran down through town, until they were in front of a lab. They entered, and stopped when they saw a woman in a lab coat talking to a man in a suit.

"Who's that?" Nicole asked. "The lady is Professor Sylvan." Damian said. "But the guy's a mystery." Wyatt added.

"Listen, Professor. These Pokémon, they're freaks. No other trainer would want them, and we can't keep them any longer. All I want is for you to take them. You already keep a bunch of Eevee as is, surely these three won't be a bother?" the man said, and Sylvan sighed.