1995

The first time Nerys Miller found herself keeping secrets for FP Jones, she was just nine years old.

As usual in the chaotic aftermath of morning rush, she'd been left behind by her parents and sister alike, and was absentmindedly walking alone by the roadside.

In true Southside fashion, she was significantly underdressed for the November chill and desperately trying to ignore the rumblings of her empty stomach as she meandered in the general direction of her school.

In true Nerys fashion, she was so lost in rambling to herself about the situation, that she didn't even notice when a familiar pickup truck slowed along side her.

A quiet clearing of his throat would pull her from her thoughts and she would half turn to meet her favourite pair of brown eyes. They were staring down at her from the trucks cab.

"Come on kid, let's get you to school. It's on my way."

It was a pleasant surprise that her sisters ex-boyfriend would continue to show such kindness towards her, especially after the particularly ugly breakup they'd endured the month before.

It was an even better surprise when the ride to school included loaded breakfast sandwiches and OJ to go from Pop's.

But FP had always been good to her. Him dating her sister, and frequently being around to ease tensions with his sly sense of humour, had apparently been the only thing actually keeping their stereotypical Southside family together.

FP always maintained that he wasn't missing much at his own house, so why wouldn't he just come over to theirs?
"Latchkey kids, unite!" He and her sister used to giggle before flopping down on the worn couch and settling on the least staticky TV channel available.

Nerys had missed how much FP seemed to effortlessly affect those around him.
She kind of missed just having him around in general.

He seemed to be the only one who could bring out the best in her sister. His warm, mellow presence had somehow made her seem more gentle and subdued.

For a time, it appeared like FP had done the impossible and managed to make her borderline tolerable even.

Now, without FP around to counter balance her bold and brash personality, Nerys found she couldn't actually stand her big sister.

She noticed how her sister had grown cold, and cruel. For someone who had suffered no more hardship than the next Southsider, it was exhausting how her sister would lash out at everyone, for just about anything.

Especially if Alice Smith was somehow involved.
Now that word was out for the eldest Smith kid being FP's new girl, her sister truly was on the warpath.

But Nerys didn't care about any of that. She couldn't help but welcome FP back into her life, even just for thirty minutes on a school day morning.

She didn't just want his offer of help, she cherished it.

So when they finally rolled up to her school's curb and FP leaned over to ruffle her thick mess of black hair and nudge her on the chin, she leaned right into it and let him.

When his voice whispered low to ask a quick favour, she nodded eagerly and agreed without question.

It was then, that she was rewarded with a brief wink and his familiar chuckle, before the truck roared to life once more and faded off into the distance.

Nerys mulled their meeting over in her head. FP had thought it best to not mention their drive or it's subsequent conversation to her sister.
Nerys also thought that was wise. She knew telling her sister would just cause them unnecessary drama.

Plus, she'd thought to herself, Pop's breakfast sandwiches were delicious, and totally worth it.

If she got to spend time with FP *and* go to school on a full stomach, then it was more than alright by her...

What Gladys didn't know, couldn't hurt her.