James|Prom

James's dad still couldn't believe that his son was actually taking a girl to prom. Or at least he was going to ask a girl. He was pacing around the livng room, waiting for James to come downstairs. Finally, he walked down the staircase adjusting his suit and tie.

"James! Look at you!" He shoved his shoulder playfully. "You clean up real nice, boy."

James awkwardly nodded and picked the flowers up off the table. "Well, I guess I'm going," He tried not to sound as scared as he felt. But he felt like he was about to wet his pants in fear of rejection.

"Oh, don't worry now, any girl would be lucky to go with you! Just don't act weird," He reminded as they walked out to the car. "Okay, just be smooth and don't say anything dumb. Don't hesitate. Get straight to the point, straight up ask her."

James nodded, feeling his hands start shaking as he climbed into the car and sat the flowers on the passenger seat. It was crazy to him that he could actually care about someone. In fact, he had never really met someone he could put up with for longer than five minutes without getting annoyed.

How hard can it be, He thought to himself. I mean, its just words?

It took him a few minutes to collect himself outside of your door, preparing what he was going to say. Anxiety built in him as he thought about every possibility that could go wrong: someone else answers the door, you say no, or he might go speechless and look like an idiot on your front porch. It could all happen, and with his luck, it would.

James knocks on the door and takes a deep breath, like it would be his last. You come out of the house, dressed in your pajamas and bedhead hair. It wasn't necessarily what he had expected, and it almost made him laugh that he was getting worked up over nothing. You weren't waiting there ready to punch him, and had no idea that he was even coming. That was good, it lowered the standards.

"Um, hi," He handed you the flowers and scratched the back of his head. "I, uh... Prom is coming up soon, and I didn't hear you say you were going with anyone so..."

He looked at you, not sure how to finish that sentence. It was too late to turn around now.

"I was... wondering if maybe you'd like to go with me? If that was something you'd be interest-" He was cut off by you kissing him. Although he liked kissing you, he was a little upset that he didn't actually get to hear a definite yes. "So... is that a yes?" He said, pulling away awkwardly and trying to subtly wipe away the sweat building on his forehead.

"It's a yes, you dork."