Chapter 1

SUIS TERRITORY

SUIS TERRITORY

The cool water had done its job. I allowed my sore muscles to unwind as the soothing river cradled me. The previously inflamed redness of my skin was gone. I surrendered to the force of the water enveloping me and my naked body. As I emerged from the refreshing embrace, I could still spot the faint marks of bruises on my legs.

Members from the pack are already there to meet me on the banks after putting back on my tattered clothes.  It is the Alpha who escorts me to the clearing. I know my role. My entire pack's attention is focused on me as I kneel in the center, ready for what's surely to come. I deserve all of it.

because I am weak

There is no possibility that I will become a werewolf, regardless of what the clan elders thought. Every day I will be reminded that I don't belong. And as Saphira screams and attacks me, I won't fight back. Because I'm as good as dead anyway.

"Come on! You pathetic piece of scum!" She screams, but I'm no longer listening. The air is thick with the metallic stench of my blood, as the Luna works harder to get a reaction out of me. It's deep plum shade another reminder that I am not one of them.

"You are a disgrace to this pack!"

Her claws slash my back tearing my worn clothes easily to shreds. I clutch my chest and brace for the next blow. Other members watch, and the pups peek from behind their mother's skirts. I was an example of what happens when you are weak. Though the beatings no longer hurt, in my clan having no wolf is a disease.

"No more Saphira!" shouts Falcon, the pack's Alpha and Saphira's mate.

"That's enough training for the day." He continues while gently pulling her off of me. Coal, the pack's Beta laughs. "I don't know Saphira, she almost had you."

There was a time when Coal and Falcon were my best friends. We'd play all midsummer in the meadows I was found at as a babe until the stars fell through the sky. Then shifting season came and I didn't shift. Since Falcon and Coal were high-ranked they couldn't be associated with someone with a lower status let alone maintain a friendship. After they acquired their ranks and found their mates, they ignored me, but as time passed, I lost all relevance.

No parents, No mate, No wolf, No friends. A pathetic excuse to the mighty moon.

It's what I deserve

As they left out the clearing, Saphira made a point to kick me in my side. The one thing I haven't allowed myself to do is to cry in front of them. I have embraced the pain. Most of the pack members thought that if I was brutally beaten, my wolf would eventually come to save me, but four years later and nothing.

  "Stupid Human." She muttered, linking hands back with Falcon.

Falcon's chestnut eyes met mine, and an emotion flickered in his eyes before they hardened again. "Do you have a Fucking eye problem?"