Chapter 2: A Mystery Begins

[Allen]

I relaxed against a tree, attempting to enjoy my day away from school and the orphanage. Suddenly, I was crushed by Ein, who was busy having fun entertaining himself with a football, or what Americans call a soccer ball. I sighed, standing up and brushing myself off. "Do you ever get tired of annoying me so often?" He laughed, "What, you don't like me or something?" I just glared while laughing a bit. I rubbed my eyes, "Ow, is it me or did it just get really bright?" Ein shook his head with a confused look, "No... This is weird. Since when is sunlight golden?" He was right, rays of pure golden light were everywhere. Flowers bloomed across all the grass, and it seemed like pure white feathers were dropping from the sky.

I blinked, "Okay this is weird..." Then, without warning, a bubble of glowing red energy grew around us. I tried getting out of it, both Ein and I tried punching and kicking at it, all to no avail. A man outside of the bubble appeared in a mysterious, red sigil. He rose up out of it with a sigh. "Damn, I really gotta get Bayonetta to pay me back after this. Maybe she'll wanna be a weapon? She'd make one kickass one." I backed up in fear, into Ein, as I watched scared out of my mind. "Who are you!?" Ein demanded. The man turned to us, "Hey, lemme do my job. We'll talk later." Under his sunglasses, a glowing red light began to glow brighter, and that shut Ein up real fast. The man turned back to see that three bird-like things wearing some kinds of tunics were in front of him. They were squawking at him, quite angrily. One took the leap at him, about to bash him with some kind of staff, when he grabbed it by the neck so fast the air around him boomed.

I shivered more, and Ein patted my head, "It's ok, he seems to be... I dunno, helping us. Let's trust him for now, ok?" I, very hesitantly nodded ok.

The thing he grabbed scream-squawked and it burst into golden light and feathers. The man then turned to us, "Hey, I've got a thing to deal with right now. Imma send you two somewhere safer. I'll be there in just a sec." The ball of red energy began to descend, and as I regained eyesight I soon found myself in a bar of sorts. It had a big sphere roof, with some kind of map on it. It showed three different worlds, like a venn diagram, all intersecting one another. Below it, in writing that appears to be in several different languages, said: "The Trinity" The only reason I could read it is because I'm very fluent in Latin, which happens to be one of the languages it's written in. Ein raised his eyebrow, "What's 'The Trinity'?" I pointed at the ceiling, "Whatever that is. It says it in like all languages, plus one I've never seen before. The only reason I could even read it was because of the Latin one. It doesn't even have English up there."

Then suddenly someone said, "I mean, English wasn't really a language when humanity first discovered the Trinity." We both turned to see the bald black man on the other side of the counter for the bar. "Ok, good, now you can explain what the hell is going on?" Ein demanded, "Please?" I asked. The man sighed, "Really? I don't even know you're names... Well I know his name, but-" He nodded his head at me and then got interrupted by Ein, "Yeah, about that, how do you know about us? Or those things we just saw?" "Those were Angels, sent from 'Heaven' to shred you both to pieces. Well, mostly Allen. You, kid, were more of a bonus to them." Both Ein and I were shocked into silence, "Angels?" "Tried to kill us?" We asked and the man nodded, "Yeah. And since we're skipping formalities, I guess, I'll tell you my name first: I'm Rodin, this is my bar: The Gates of Hell."

Ein snorted, "Classy name for a classy place. I'm Ein." Rodin glared, "It's a fittin' name, too. You see, I'm not really human. I'm a fallen angel, turned demon. I've lived a good life, making weapons for money. But there was about, say, 25 years ago when I met a woman named Bayonetta. She woke up with no memories, but over time she got them back. We worked together for a very long time, but one day she made me make a very... serious, promise. She said that one day, when her son is all grown, if she dies before he is ready, then I am to swoop in and save him before Angels tear him to shreds, and teach him about her legacy." I was shaking as I looked down at my feet, "No way... If that's all true then..."

"My mom is dead."

[???]

I leapt from building to building, easily accomplishing it thanks to the main oonlight giving me heightened agility. I arrived at the orphanage, and peered inside what is supposed to be his bedroom window.... To no avail. I slammed my hand against the wall in fury. I then leapt atop the roof, and opened my compact mirror. In the reflection appeared my Master, "How is the mission, Rayona?" "Bad news, Master. He is not here, where he was supposed to be. No sign of even his aura in the orphanage. What do I do now?" "Check the school. Perhaps-" "I checked there earlier today. No sign of him either, though there was sign of an Angelic vs. Demonic struggle. It was very clear that whatever it was, the Demonic side of the fight won. The entire area stunk of Demonic energy." Master sighed, "That bastard Rodin... Must've swept in and saved the boy. Begin to search for Rodin as well. The Fallen must also be purged from this planet to truly cleanse it. Jubileus will rise again, and this time no Bayonetta around to stop me."

I nodded, "Of course, Master. However, there is one perplexing thing that I wish to portray." "Proceed." He responded. "Well... Rodin's aura is an obvious one, one I would've sensed before. The thing is, well.... Whilst observing the boy before, I've never sensed his energy. Ever. Clearly, Bayonetta must've had plans in place to stop him from being attacked in case of her demise." Master gasped, "That is right! How could I have never thought of that before? Damn... That means he could be starting training now." "Should I locate and attack Rodin's bar, perhaps?" "No, Rodin is most clearly prepared for such contingency.... Stay alert for now." I nodded, putting away the compact mirror.