The Walk Home

The cold winter air gnawed at my limbs and sent a violent shiver up my spine.

The crispy air enforced my lungs quickly and swiftly before retreating back to my urban yet seemingly suburban surroundings as a puff of smoke.

The phone in my pocket suddenly vibrated like it had a mind of its own and wanted out. I ignored it.

There's always a time to answer a call, and right now was not one. I desperately wanted to get back to my apartment and answering my phone, even for a minute, would hinder that. I can't walk and talk.

The street was empty and only about 2 cars have passed in the time span of 15 minutes. Yeah, I guess you can say this place is deserted, but that's why I love it.

The journey to my house was about a mile longer and I was oozing hesitation. 

Maybe I should call a cab, I thought. With the abundance of cars there already was, a car would take more than an hour to get to where I am, so I may as well just walk.

I was currently walking past the cemetery and my breath caught in my throat when the wind picked up and blew my scarlet red hair into my eyes.

Not even my hair could act as a scarf and keep my neck warm. I can almost hear the spirits and poltergeist chanting "Be my ghoulfriend! Be my ghoulfriend!" 

Right after you pass the cemetery, about 4 blocks away, lies the safe haven that I call home. I can't wait to lie in my bed and get out of this cold weather, I thought, my bed is probably missing me too..

On my way down the block, I heard a sound. A whimper almost. It was coming from the alley and heaven knows nothing good happens when you enter an alley especially at night!

The sounds were getting louder as I approached the mouth of the alley, but the whimper was muffled this time.

It was as if the person was trying to go unnoticed. As if they heard me approaching them. 

Curiosity got the best of me and I cautiously entered the alley.

Oh God, why am I doing this? What if I get killed or something?

What if it's just some wild animal?

My thoughts were going crazy, but my feet kept moving forward.

There was a putrid musty smell that made my nose scrunch up, like it would relieve me from smelling it. My throat threatened to dry heave at any moment.

I was now surrounded by garbage bags and dumpsters. I'm not sure if it was possible, but the night seemed to have gotten darker; inky almost.

The whimpers had switched to deep groans, though they were still muffled. Something was telling me that I should back out and just walk to my home. It was only 3 blocks away now. Maybe I should jus-

Another groan cut off my line of thought and only seemed to feed my curiosity while still managing to make my heart stutter.

Hesitantly, I scanned my surroundings once more only to see a man on the ground. He was hunched over in the fetal position. He looked to be in extreme pain. Oh my god.

"Uh, hey are you o-okay?" I stammered. The man was shirtless and that was a bit shocking seeing as it was 38°.

It seemed that he wasn't fazed by the harsh weather. He wasn't shivering; something else must be causing him discomfort.

At the sound of my voice the man just groaned again, but this time it seemed to be mixed with a growl.

It was low in his throat and my legs ached to run back to my original path. I ignored the ache and stepped further into alleyway, closer to the shirtless man and my possible demise.