(32)

L E O N I E

As per a pre thanksgiving tradition that we had, our crew liked to gather the night before and have a drink. Most of our plans revolved around family. Amy hung out and did some weird meal that didn't involve turkey and I just could not relate. Ethan usually joined her because his parents didn't do much around thanksgiving. They had their own traditions with their own cultures. Bray and Jade had a meal with their entire extended family. Jess did the same and I hadn't been invited back since I told their rude racist grandmother that her pumpkin pie tasted like a shit sandwich.

Not that it mattered. Mom had been away that year. With Gran. Where I refused to go. That was the only reason that I was at Jess' in the first place. Alex usually spent his thanksgiving with his dad. No surprise, his mom didn't tend to make an appearance. I was starting to believe that she had a second family somewhere. Her other husband probably wore polo shirts and had a secret diaper fetish. I told Alex that to make him feel better. Dunno if it worked though.

This year I'd been invited to Bray's house. But Heath ended up asking me to be at his family dinner and obviously I had to accept my boyfriend's invitation. So on the eve of thanksgiving, Bray, Jess, Ethan, Jade and I sat in my living room with a bottle of liquor. Amy had other plans. She didn't elaborate on what. But I didn't ask either.

"So catch me up on what I missed while I was gone?" I said, pouring another bourbon and cola mix. "Ethan. You first. How are things going?"

"I'd love to know too," Jade smiled and pulled her feet up under her bum as she cradled a glass of vodka. Bray groaned with disapproval and shot her a harsh glare.

Ethan chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. "We're— I have no idea. I feel like we're in limbo to be honest. We haven't broken up but we're barely talking."

"Just dump her and get it over with," Jess offered with nonchalance. She was tucked in beside Bray on the couch. Her long brown hair was pulled back in a French braid.

"Aren't you supposed to be her friend," Ethan raised a brow at her.

"Yeah. Well. Sort of. But friends or not, she doesn't treat you right."

He pursed his lips and nodded.

"I agree," I added. "But I told her that. Like, to her face. She keeps telling me that she wants to do better and relax but she can't seem to put it into action."

"She's a bitch," Jade said, pulling a joint out of her carton of cigarettes. She held it up with question and I nodded for her to go ahead. "She's so holier than thou. Lillian is a Christian and doesn't give me half the shit that Amy gives you lot. In fact, she doesn't give me shit at all. You should have flicked her ages ago."

"I feel gross bitching about her behind her back," I chugged the rest of my drink back and sat forward for another refill. "Let's change the subject.

Jade pulled a disbelieving face at me as she inhaled her joint.

"Na," Bray shook his head at his sister. "Leonie doesn't say it unless she'd say it to their face."

Jade nodded, seemingly impressed as she held the joint out to Ethan. He thought about it for a minute and then took it from her. I'd never realised how interested Jade seemed to be in him. Of course, he hadn't been around a lot because of his girlfriend. But she kept fixing her hair or smiling whenever he looked at her. Amy didn't have a reason not to trust Ethan and I hoped he didn't give her one.