f i f t e e n - seed

CHAPTER FIFTEEN | s e e d
28/03/18

Adira prepared herself for the routine the group had grown used to over the past three or so months. The air was cool and sharp, the cold biting at her fingers as they curled and uncurled around her knife. It may have been early March, but winter clearly hadn't decided to loosen its grasp quite yet. She'd acquired a high quality coat she would've only been able to window shop for before, but now didn't even bother to look at its price. It kept her warm, and that was its worth; not the number on the tag.

The group stood before a small house in the woods, cars ready to leave at a moment's notice and weapons clutched in their hands. They'd spent months doing this exact thing; drive, clear a house, and leave when the walkers inevitably came. They always did.

Adira's breaths came out short and ragged in the dry, frigid air, both nervous and exhilarated at the same time. She enjoyed clearing out the houses from time to time, as it broke up the monotonous practice of simply hiding and surviving, no matter how dangerous it was. But she always feared that something would go wrong, and someone would get hurt. They'd gone so long without losing anyone; it was only a matter of time.

She shook her head, dismissing those thoughts from her head as soon as they came to her. If she kept thinking so pessimistically, maybe one of those things actually would happen. Instead, she readied herself for the opening of the door.

Suddenly, Daryl gave the signal and Rick bashed in the door, shooting a walker in the head as T-Dog stabbed another one. Daryl and Carl went in behind them, pointing their weapons in front of them in case of any surprise walkers.

Adira didn't go in with them. She'd gotten a cut on her arm the day before that still bothered her when she tried to use a weapon, whether it be shooting or stabbing. She was disappointed, but was happy to be able to stay with Beth, Carol, and Lori, who she could make sure was safe.

She'd somewhat made friends with the latter two after the herd. They didn't seek each other out for anything, but they interacted amicably.

Soon enough, Rick whistled from the front door to let them know it was okay to come in; the house was clear. Adira picked up a few bags and started to walk over before noticing that Lori was attempting to carry way too many things.

"Here, I'll take those," breathed Adira, walking over to Lori and taking two of the three bags that she had, the sudden weight surprising her and causing her to slump for a second before she regained her balance.

Lori quickly reacted, trying to take them back. "No, Adira, I'm fine. Don't worry about it."

The girl shook her head, not letting the mother take the bags. "I'll take them." Without another word, she turned around and walked into their new home, for however long they could call it that.

It was old, definitely old. The wood beneath her feet creaked, the walls and ceiling were full of cobwebs, and a thick layer of dust coated every visible surface. This, in addition to the dead walker on the floor with blood oozing out of its wound, made the place not seem like the best place in the world to stay. But what choice did they have?

She walked into the living room as she heard Rick close the door, sitting down next to Beth, who had made herself comfortable on the floor. Daryl sat across the room in a chair, using his knife to shave off the feathers of the owl he had shot. She threw him a short look of disgust, but it wasn't like he would see it. He hadn't looked at her all winter. Not that she cared; after the things he yelled at her, she didn't want his attention.

Carl soon joined her, setting down his bag and getting out a can of what looked like dog food, and started to open it with a can opener. Adira plugged her nose immediately, the putrid scent causing her to gag. Everyone else looked on as the young, hungry boy resorted to that, full of pity but accepting the necessity of it in their dire situation. Rick turned from his watch of the window and slowly walked over to Carl, bending down and picking up the can before suddenly standing, turning, and throwing it against the wall. Some people flinched, but no one made a sound. They were used to this. He looked around with a look that everyone knew well, one of desperation and distress. Rick, their leader, didn't even know what to do.