-9-

Juvia was alone again. Like always.

Why did I have to kick him out?

Because nobody likes the little worthless piece of trash.

Juvia checked the time. It was almost five. She picked up her blade and waited for the little digit to flip.

She kept her watch when she sold the house; it was one thing she couldn't sell. It was the last gift her father ever gave her. Even though she hated to admit it, she still loved him.

But you don't deserve his love.

Juvia held her blade to her arm and began her five o'clock ritual to begin.

******

Gray ran. He didn't care if he didn't know her, he just wanted to save her. A little piece of him wanted forgiveness, and if that girl was give it to him, he would help her.

Thinking about forgiveness brought tears to his eyes. It was all his fault. If he hadn't gone out that day, she wouldn't have died. 

*Flashback ten years ago*

"You're not my real family! You can't help me!"

"Gray, wait, please-"

"I will get revenge for my real parents." His eyes flashed with malice and hatred. "And you can't stop me!" He began running out of the house. Lyon just watched him, a small frown beginning to form on his youthful face.

"Gray, please stay here! It's too dangerous right now!" The winds howled outside, blowing snow into a white whirlwind. "You'll get lost; you'll freeze! I will help you, just not now!"

"No!" Tears ran down the small boy's face. Each held more pain than anyone could ever imagine. It broke Ur's heart to see such an innocent child with a burden bigger than he could carry. No matter how much she reasoned, he fought back. "I will make them pay." And with that, he ran out the front door.

"Gray!" Ur cried. She ran after him into the storm. All she could see was a small mass of black moving steadily away. Eventually, she followed him to a lake surrounded by trees. Due to the foliage, there was less wind, allowing Ur to see clearly. "Gray!"

He began to cross the frozen lake, his weight light enough for the ice to remain intact. "Gray, please, you'll get hurt! Come back! I will fight for you!" But by now, the boy wasn't even listening. Ur couldn't follow him out unto the ice; she was too heavy. Suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, she caught sight of a man with a gun, smiling evilly. She recognized him instantly. He was one of the monsters that had killed the Gray's parents. She screamed in fear and pulled out a pocketknife she always kept with her. "GRAY!" 

Ur ran to her little boy, pushing him to the side. The bullet meant for him dug into her shoulder, causing her to fall straight through the ice. Before she was submerged, she threw the knife, knocking the murderer down. A little hand grasped hers. "Ur!"

She looked up to see Gray, endless streams of tears running down his face. "Ur, please, hang on!"

She smiled weakly up at him, her skin beginning to turn blue. "Don't give up. You were the happiness in my life. Now, become the happiness in someone else's life." Losing feeling in her legs, her hand began to slip out of Gray's. 

"No!" So much pain in eyes. Ur continued to smile, before her hand let go.

"UR!" Gray tried to reach pull her out, but somebody held him back. Lyon.

The silver-haired boy pulled him away from the hole and stared downwards, not believing the one person they cared about the most had left them.

"I followed you... I can't believe it. She's gone."

Solemnly, the children looked at the hole in the ice. Cracks were beginning to form around them, and they scrambled to safety. A few hours later, the police came, apologizing for the delay. But the only thing running through Gray's mind was that he was never going to see her again. Ever.

Ur wasn't coming back.

She never would.

Sinking to his knees, the small, broken boy closed his eyes and screamed her name.

*End of flashback*

I will help her. I will become her happiness. Gray wiped away his tears, eyes full of determination. He ran towards the abandoned railroad, hoping, praying Juvia was there.

I will not let anyone else die.

*Hey guys! This chapter came out way later than it was supposed to! I was writing this while running errands and unfortunately, Walmart doesn't have a signal. -_-

But hey! I did finish it today! (*gasp* I MADE A RHYME!!!) \(^.^)/ 

This was more of a background/filler. I changed Gray's background so it would fit the story (if they had magic it would be insane). Sorry if it seems a little unrealistic; I tried to keep it as close to the series as possible. I also made Lyon a little more understanding towards Gray regarding Ur's death. They are cousins rather than enemies. I would say brothers, but then I would have to say Gray and Lyon's parents. (^~^) just no

The next chapter should definitely be a kick-off for Gruvia! Woohoo! /(^3^)/

Don't forget to comment! See ya!