Chapter One: Paradoxical Delimma

Hi Everyone! I am sorry for abandoning Ragnarok for such a long time. Don’t worry, I was hit with inspiration so I will try to update more often. But for now, here is the first chapter to introduce our main protagonist.

***

Year 2513

 Ethan POV

If the clouds could speak, what would they say? Sometimes I envy the cloud and the skies. I envy the birds in the sky with their beautiful wings. I even envy the caterpillar, knowing that it time has come, and death is inevitable. But just when the end is near, it transform into something more beautiful and mesmerizing. When the caterpillars sleep does it dream of becoming a butterfly? What about the butterfly? Does it have nightmares of the time it spent as a caterpillar? Sometimes I wonder which one am I. Am I the caterpillars who dream of soaring through the sky with wings the color of a rainbow? Or am I the butterfly who has nightmares of its previous life? It is a paradoxical dilemma.

 “What is that mind of yours cooking up again?” Cynthia dropped down beside me.

 “Oh, leave him alone. He is probably wondering why he was not born a bird or something,” Gavin, my friend chuckled and sat down beside me.

 “The both of you should be in class,” I told them with my eyes still closed.

 “You should be in class too instead of lying down on the roof and wondering about the secret the vast universe holds.” Cynthia snapped and stood over me with her arms folded.

 Opening my eyes, I grinned sheepishly; “do you mind?” I asked her. With her short blonde hair and multiple piercings in her ears, she looked intimidating as she glared down at me. Cynthia and Gavin were the first people who forced themselves on me when I moved into town one year ago, claiming we were friends whether I liked it or not. I was still not used to them, so I had the tendency of doing things on my own.

 “Get up Ethan; I am not letting you skip another class again. Let me tell you a secret, there is no secret to the universe. So stop wondering about it and attend class!” She said sternly, her nostril flaring in agitation.

 “Snap Ethan, maybe we should go to class; the nasal flared and you know what that means.” Gavin jumped up and grabbed my shirt. Taking his advice, I dusted myself and back away slowly from Cynthia with my hands in the air.

 Gavin, like all shifters, was very fit with our usual physique. His honey brown hair was short because apparently he did not like it touching his neck. With his warm brown eyes, he was very kind and welcoming.

 “I’m going so stop flaring those things!” Gavin and I turned around quickly and ran through the corridor with Cynthia hot on our tail. The three of us barge into our last hour class and my stomach turned.

 Ugh! I was better off skipping class. Mr. Cole stopped squeaking his chalk on the board and turned to us slowly. “Oh look, if it isn’t Ethan and Gavin. So you finally grace us with your presences your majesties?” Gavin and I groaned. Mr. Cole eye twitched as he glared daggers at Gavin and me while we tried to blend into the wall.

I cringed when Mr. Cole’s eyes soften, and he grinned. “Oh Cynthia, you just got back from the latrine, take a seat.” He smiled and waved Cynthia to her desk. She shrugged, given us her signature “you deserve it look.”

 “So because you both are shifters you think my class is not worth coming to?” Mr. Cole broke his chalk and glared at us, his teeth clenched.

 We knew better not to comment. Mr. Cole was what we called “a speciesist.” He hated that he was only human and not a shifter, a witch, wizard or vampire. Due to this reason, he discriminated against anyone from another species that was not human.