Neighbours

Ashley's POV

"Ashley, our neighbour, Aunty Anne had invited us to join them for dinner tonight at 7." My mum announced. And there I was standing there mind froze at the thought of going over to my neighbour's house as I had the thought of going over to meet her sons again, Jack and Joshua. 

Jack was one year older than me while Joshua was 3 years younger than me. But recently Aunty Anne had frequently invited our family to join them with lunch, tea, and also dinner. That had made the situation for us teenagers awkward cause we don't talk to each other. We always just listen to the parents' conversation and kept silent. We were both introverts. 

When they played their video games, I just stood beside and watched without saying anything, scared to say anything wrong and made them look at me like a weirdo. 

Dinner

"Hi aunty, hi uncle." I greeted them. "Hi Alice!! You are such a big girl already." Alice was about 8 years old. I was only close to her. The other 2 kids not so. 

A deep voice greeted my parents, it was Jack's voice. Ever since he hit puberty, his voice changed so much and he looked more stunningly erm... good looking? 

Seeing how the relationship between the sons and I made me reminisce about our old times when we were so close and played with each other almost everyday. 

7 years ago

'Ding-dong' I excitedly rang the bell of Aunty Anne's house to ask Jack and Joshua to come out to the park and play. 

Joshua came to peek out and have a look at who was at the door. At that time I was closer to Joshua than to Jack because we had more things in common and he was better in sports so we were closer. At that time I always thought that Jack was a little retarded. After puberty, he was so different. 

"Hi Ashley! Do you want to cycle to the park today? I will ask my brother to come out later." He gave that innocent smile and went in to get ready. 

10 minutes later, we were all prepared, wearing all the safety arm pads and knee pads with our different colours and designs helmet. We cycled to the nearby park which was within the same compound which was guarded so it wasn't dangerous. 

The boys always played dangerously with each other, they cycle really near to each other and tried to scare the other away by almost knocking them over. I was always like the eldest of the group as I always warned them to be more careful. But they didn't care.... until accident happened. 

Few times, they fumbled over and their body lurched forward and flew to the rough road, causing blood to spill over. Then, when we reached their house, Aunty Anne would gave them a whole lot of lecture and I would be beside them laughing at them when they exclaimed in pain.

We also played video games together, whenever Aunty Anne allowed Josh and Jack to play. They would teach me how to use the PS2 controller and played all kinds of games like Ben 10 and The Incredible. 

We had so much and fun and I always get over excited by shouting to fight the monster. Sometimes, when I didn't really know how to play the game I would always fail and jump here jump there. Sometimes I freaked out and then they would laugh at my silly moves.

"Ashley! Ashley!" I heard Joshua shouting my name from outside the gate. "Come out and play with us. We are playing football today! Come on!" I was excited to play football with them, although I was the worst among them. I leaped out of my chair and went out to play with them.