Chapter Four

Nut and Bracken leaned into their collars and pulled steadily, water dripping from their manes, their ears held sideways to stop the rain trickling in. The younger Children were taking it in turns to ride double on two of the four new beasts, tied one each side of the wagon to the centre rings, the other two new ones were tied at the rear, each carrying a pack; and Flax, Agouti and Sunshine were having a well-earned day off, following in the rear, picking at a few choice mouthfuls from time to time, and cantering to catch up every now and then.

Ahead of them the trade route rose gently up the long slope of the hill; the last waypost had said five miles to Caprester (although the carving was all but unreadable under a layer of soggy lichen), and a curl of smoke rising above the trees on the curve of the hill gave the first sign that they were rapidly approaching human habitation.

Moonwind and I will strike north through the trees and come back down to meet you on the far side, said Moondust.

Nemeth, if I go with the unicorns, I can try for a deer in the woods, suggested Jekavi.

Sherath? asked Nemeth. What do you think?

– Don't see why not. But keep well out of sight, Jekavi.

– Did you want to run, or ride? Moonwind asked, nuzzling Jekavi's collar. His face lit up as he turned and stroked her neck.

I'd like to ride, he said.

Jump up then, said Moonwind. And hold my mane – we'll be moving swiftly.

– You'd better take this, said Nemeth, handing him his box of thorn darts and blowpipe.

Thanks. I'll see you all later.

– Be careful, ordered Sienne as the unicorns wheeled away.

Don't worry, Little Sister, Moonwind answered. I'll take good care of him.

Within seconds Jekavi and the unicorns had disappeared into the woodland, striking northwards up the steep face of the hill above Caprester. The wagon rolled steadily onwards into the town, attracting little notice. A pair of wrangling pups rolled out into the roadway almost under Nut and Bracken's hooves, causing a minor scuffle which was quickly quietened by Sherath as he grabbed at the plunging Nut's noseband and steadied him, soothing him with a hand on his muzzle and a wash of amused Awareness combined with a trace of Command. A young girl ran out and grabbed the two pups.

"I'm sorry," she said breathlessly, looking up and meeting Nemeth's eyes.

"No problem," he said. She straightened up, still looking. A shy smile brightened her eyes, and she called the pups sternly to heel. They fawned round her, snuzzling at her hands and wrinkling their noses ingratiatingly.

"They haven't learnt to behave sensibly yet," said the girl.

"Some of us never do," answered Nemeth with a grin. The girl laughed.

"Where do you come from? And where are you going?" she asked, falling into step beside the wagon.

"From the east, going west," answered Louka with a smile.

"Obviously," added Sherath. "But more specifically, from the other side of Dakesht, and aiming to cross the Whitewater tomorrow."

"Will you be trading in Milton? Or here?"

"Probably not. Our new beasts aren't reliable enough to trade in Milton – though we might get something for them on the other side of the river."