Chapter Eight

The wind stayed steadfastly straight out of the north; and the first powdery specks that had showed themselves at Mulyan were replaced by larger and larger flakes carried in the brittle air as they crested the first hill and began the long traverse over and down the north-facing slope and just below the ridge that led over to Mons Dei.

Kin and Kaaia stayed close to the wagon, both showing signs of unease. Kin slunk along with his tail tucked low, one ear cocked towards Kaaia, and the other swivelling constantly to catch any sound around them. Kaaia was even more quiet than usual, and occasionally paused to glance around. Jekavi extended his Awareness towards them both, and could feel Kin's hackles prickling, and Kaaia's skin goose-bumping in a very similar way.

Mishaar looked across at Jevann, plodding steadily onwards at Holly's head, all his senses constantly searching the way ahead, and ranging round as far as he could to each side. He had been very quiet for the past two days.

What's bothering you, my friend? asked Mishaar quietly, easing his Awareness into Jevann's.

I really don't like the feel of this, replied Jevann softly. And I'm not the only one.

The weather's certainly not being overly benevolent, agreed Mishaar.

It's not the weather that's bothering me, said Jevann, almost sharply. There's something ... ominous ... in the wind. Can't you feel it?

Mishaar's Awareness picked up the cold sheeting of perspiration down Jevann's back, and he found the hairs on his own neck starting to rise. – I can't feel it myself; but through you ... yes. A sort of baleful presence that isn't weather.

Farinka's Awareness flooded through theirs almost suddenly. Mishaar greeted it with a mental caress.

Jevann? asked Farinka. What's up?

– I don't know. But something's getting at me; all my reactions are feeling blunted. Slow. And it's not the cold. Moonwind?

– Yes; I feel it. Oppressive.

Jevann looked along the open ridge towards Mons Dei, looming massively ahead of them, its forested flanks shrouded in cloud. – We'll be on there by nightfall, he said, and shivered.

Mishaar jogged forwards, the snow creaking under his feet, and drew level with Sherath.

Open up your Awareness, he said. Sherath glanced over at him.

Yes, I know. This has evil undertones. We'll set up camp early today.

– On Mons Dei?

– No. We'll stop as soon as the hill provides enough shelter. I want to get across without spending a night on Mons Dei itself.

– You think it's coming from there?

– Yes. I also think we've been deliberately driven towards it. Plague in Carwain and Oldbury at this time of year is rather more than coincidence.

***

It took three hours combined work by Sherath, the two unicorns and Farinka to raise a protective 'blanket' around the night's camp, and they returned exhausted and shivering.

Notice anything odd? Jevann asked Sherath.

There are no animals here, said Moonwind. They've all gone.

Jekavi came over to them, mugs of herb tea in his hands. – I know what those wolves by Mulyan meant, now, he said. Whatever it is, it's been here since at least last summer. And the little ones were frightened until you got that shield set. Will it hold?