Chapter 9- The Best Nightmare You'll Ever Have

"I can't believe you, Candy Cane. You can't argue with the professor on the first day," Viktor said. He shook his head, then looked back down at his food.

I held up my hand. "I didn't start it, though. He called me out, and I wasn't about to back down. You know me. What else was I supposed to do?"

"Anything but that."

I shrugged. "It's over now, and as long as he doesn't back me into a corner again, I won't have to argue with him again, which will piss me off. He didn't even get to hear me when I really get going."

"Amanda. Chill."

"Do what now?"

"That's not funny. You need to learn when to just let things go."

"So I'm supposed to just let him think-"

He cut me off. "It's not your job to change what he thinks."

"But somehow it's his job to change what I think."

"That's the way it is. You just have to live through it for a semester."

I rolled my eyes. "Every time you say something like that, I'm just going to start bleating like a sheep."

"Eat your pizza. You're not you when you're hungry."

I glared at him, and I didn't eat my pizza. "You should at least try to take my side here."

"I just don't want you to be the student that's always arguing everything the professor has to say. He knows more than you on these topics, so maybe you should try to learn something."

"But the way he goes about it just sickens me. He's arrogant, and he already just told us to 'accept that there's no such thing as an individual.'"

Viktor thought for a moment. "So that's what's bothering you. He's just telling you what you should think."

"Exactly. I'm not going to buy into some bullshit just because someone tells me. I'm capable of forming my own opinions. A doctorate isn't a license to indoctrinate."

"I understand you now. I agree with you."

I smiled. "Thank you, sheep."

He shook his head and smiled.

Neither one of us said anything for a moment, but I never minded silence with Viktor. I actually usually wondered what was going on in his mind. He liked to tell me what he was feeling about something or someone, but only occasionally I got to hear his thoughts. I wished he would share them with me more often.

I thought of a way to get him to talk. "What are your goals for this season?"

"It's not hockey season yet. I haven't thought about it really," he replied.

"What do you expect from yourself?"

He gave me a smile. "Not much, Candy Cane."

I rolled my eyes. "Oh my god, you are the least competitive person I know. I swear, if my heart and your talent were put together, we'd be a first overall pick in the draft."

"Why are you so obsessed with getting me drafted?"

I looked up at him with my eyebrows raised. "Because I know damn well that we can pull it off."

"And how are you so sure of that? Life can change a person's plans in a matter of seconds. You should know that."

"Because I've put my mind to it. And if there's one thing I know how to do, it's how to get shit done. So you're going to put that number fifty to work, and I'm going to put together another list for you. A list of shit you're going to make happen on your end."