Aerospace I : Lunar Warp

Lunar Warp

by Gordon Best

Introduction

These small novels are a cycle that lasted almost a year. 2014

Chapter 1 : University

Ernie and I met in University, agricultural studies. It might have been the first day. I was looking at my time table and trying to figure out where the Soils 101 lecture hall was. I heard him across the way stumbling and swearing up the steps. He found his way to me and almost knocked me over.

He said, "Sorry fellow. Had a rough night, now my clutch won't shove into gear. Looking for Soil 101."

A young fresh lass appeared. She pointed to room 206. "That is it. Easy as pie. I took it last year."

I looked her over with interest, as I grabbed Ernie's arm, and steered him to the door.

I said, "We should not be late. We will sit at the back. You look a little hung over."

"Thanks, appreciate it!" and we sat down for an easy course.

I was yearning for knowledge and knew all about different climate soils and mineral balances. I also understood how corporations were running the show. I was a little puzzled about where I would work after graduation. A square peg, but I found out that Ernie was doing agriculture in real life.

His family were native, and they lived near Candle Lake. Farmed co-op, 100 hectares, north of here. Grain, vegetables and some fruit. He did not normally drink, but could not refuse to join some local brothers the night before.

By the following day, we were fast friends. We are both delayed students. I am 24, he is 25. I worked hard down in the potash mines, five years sweating, and I saved my money. The last year was shear torture. My body was growing allergic to salt.

Ernie got sponsored to the university. His parents were very proud of him.

For two years we breezed through. We were just finishing that year's exams, when Ernie got a call to drop everything and come north. He was needed for greater things. I was unhappy and surprised. I did not want to continue my course without him. If Ernie was not going to be there... I threw over an offer to work in the potash and joined Ernie as he drove a rental car north. Ernie let his people know I was coming and put in a good word for me. I had no idea what was up.

We stood just outside of Meath Park, looking north off highway 55. Just standing by the car parked off road. A great deep hole had been dug and monster machines were dumping man-sized rocks into it by the hundreds.

We both stood there and finally I asked my thoughtful friend.

"What is the hole for? It must be 4km long."

"Three actually! It is 300 metres wide and 40 metres deep."

"And?"

"It is all part of an experiment. They're trying to imitate the lava tubes at Plato South."

"You part of this Moon bunch?"

"I guess so. But I haven't thought about it much lately."

"So what now?" I asked.

"We wait. Someone is coming from Candle Lake. You let me do the talking and don't stare."

I tried to do what he said. We found a couple of comfortable rocks, well out of the way and watched the comings and goings most of the day. Ernie left me at one point and came back with some food from town. We settled in again.