Aerospace I - Lunar Eagle

Aerospace I : The Lunar Cycle

The Lunar Eagle

Gordon Best

Chapter 1 : Hot

I was a child of two Saskatchewan natives. They took care of me for a time until they got tired of me wandering off. We had moved to Plato crater on the Moon and if you wanted to find me, I was busy about my business, in one of the gardens. They just gave up on me and I would use their place for a change of clothes and a shower.

I don't suppose I was eating right. I picked something from the garden atrium, when I was hungry. I was skinny. I am still skinny. I went to school but it did not interest me. Too easy.

Then Frida found me. I became hers, long before she asked me to become her apprentice. My heart was dedicated to becoming like her.

At 17, my new family moved to Iceland and I choose to stay behind with an unknown future in Plato crater. It was hard, but I had lived on my own before. I had a ring and I had a destiny.

* * *

There is a story I need to tell before I get on with mine. Mom and dad did not go alone to Iceland. They took the two most famous women of lunar history with them. Ali and Doris. Along with them went their husbands Alex and Clyde.

They landed on the shuttle field in northern Iceland. Frida's father was there to pick them up and take them home to Neskaupstadur. This is in an eastern fjord. There they took the first month just adjusting to Earth gravity. Probably they were eating too much.

It was June and the snow was gone from the mountains. The conversation got round to the lack of geothermal heat in the east fjords. Many attempts had been made to find a good hot spot somewhere in the fjord. Nothing came up as a sure bet.

Now my adoptive parents have certain powers. First, they are an Eagle Couple. That means they are completely united as a spiritual unit. And they have the dousing ability to locate hot and cold spots through their feet. They joke sometimes that Frida is cold and Gohan is hot.

We have a few Eagle Couples in Plato and on Mars. They each have different abilities.

So after the adjustment, Gohan and Frida got out there, in their bare feet. They started a great search up and down mountain sides, over sand spits and through swampy lands. They learned to run through farmer's fields and jump the many drainage ditches. It was a great joy for both of them to be out in the open, half clothed and free to see the sky and breathe the salty air. If they had the chance, I know they would have removed every stitch and run naked. But there were others about. Part of the team set up by her father. Every hot spot was noted and it was only on a mountain slope, near the airport that they finally screamed out their victory.

They had a geothermal point to drill and pump. Hot liquid water. 50C would have been good but this was 60C, in abundance. Frida and Gohan's son Mani is a brother to me. He called me every day giving me details that adults would have left out. He is eight years old and I miss him.

News got out. A big geothermal site in Nordfjord. Well they could not stop there. Iceland had done so much in helping us here, when the rest of the world was in chaos. We had to return that favour. All the metals that we had mined were just sitting around, waiting for the Earth economy to recover. We supplied some gold and platinum to back up the local currency.

Many of the people, who were now coming to Iceland, to shuttle up into orbit... well they all did not pass the screening process. Instead of returning to Canada, they stayed and at last count, there were close to one million people in Iceland. The island has a strong economy as our main supplier and we are their main trading partner.