That Boy Is Trouble

She watched him walk away into the distance before she slowly started to notice the environment around her getting hostile. As she turned her head to the side, she noticed girls with displeased looks and envious eyes. She turned to the other side to see the same reactions and she walks away from it all to class through the chain reactions of envy and jealousy that seeped through the crowds of every portion of ground she lay foot on.

The hallway that day was buzzing with girls beginning to whisper to each other as they glare at her with darting eyes, boys wooing at who they assumed was the School President's girlfriend while some just raised eyebrows at the luck-struck girl who Yuki Kanzaki came to school with in his car. She managed to draw herself away from all the unwanted attention and get safely to class but as she made her entrance into the classroom, all eyes darted at her the moment she swung the door open. Once again, she tried her best to ignore it and focused on making her way to her seat. Sinking into her seat, she avoided eye contact with anybody around and shut out the world around her by ignoring everything her sensed could pick up. Slowly the teacher's lecture, the back-benchers' murmurings, and any other background noise all faded away as she drifted off to her safe place: Her daydreams.

However that day, a voice called her out of her daydreams halfway before she realised it was the teacher's voice calling out her roll number. "24... Roll number 24 are you present?" the teacher repeated. "Yes Ma'am!" she shot up from her seat with her arm raised up. "Day dreaming again, 24?" Said the teacher as she took a look at her from her lowered glasses. The girl stood there with an uneasy look on her face not sure of what to do next until the teacher broke the awkward silence by saying, "Well, number 24. You've been an easy one to go unnoticed." she walked across the room with her arms behind her back until she came to a halt implying, "And I do not take pleasure in any of my students to go unnoticed, easily forgettable, hidden away in background. Hence, I will assign to you today's responsibly of Lab Monitor. Make sure the students do no damage to the lab and assist them all out after class where you shall then return the key to the Head Master..." Then she completes it with something that makes everyone's heads turn up "through the Head Captain."
From this, the girl got the idea what all the unwanted attention she had been getting since morning was about.
'That boy is trouble' she thinks to herself with all their eyes still glaring at her from all directions.

Just as instructed, she pulled herself through another round of the glares and ice cold stares until she was spared by the bell and everyone eventually left the lab. "Oh man, I really wish this didn't have to be the time I want to use the Ladies room." she mumbled to herself as she took a quick check at the lab. "Then again I also wish everyone wouldn't have glared a hole through me today so I could've asked to use the washroom between class." she thought. Closing the door behind her, she left the lab for a quick trip to the washroom assuming no one would enter since everyone was already on their way home.

And as fate has its ironic humour of putting a spin on things for her, Yuki was doing his daily check on the classrooms and noticed the School Lab wasn't locked yet. "Anybody still in here?" he made his presence known as he stepped inside looking around. "Well hello there." He exclaimed as he bends his knee down to look at a cage of hamsters. He then also noticed a bag placed on a chair beside him. He turned the label over and a smile came to him. "Miss Towika" he read out the girl's surname.
"Alright you little furballs" he turned to the hamsters. "Somebody's gonna be in a looot of trouble. And that's not me. So why don't you save me the trouble of plotting a scheme and do the work for me?" he said as he slid down the handle and emptied the cage into her bag. "Feel free to drop some bombs in there too" he suggested as he looked into the bag now stuffed with hamsters then zipped them up in there. "Eekh" he exclaimed with his tongue stuck out being grossed out before walking out of the lab and closing back the door. "Let's just hope they don't bite" he said to himself.

The girl comes back right after and hurries on with locking up the lab. She grabs the bag and heads off to the Student's Head Quarters: An annex of the Campus where all the Captains come together for meetings and other forms of school work. Yuki's office is the top tier of the building. Taking an elevator up to his office, she steps out and walks into a huge posh room with a wide table at the center and a chair that's turned back at the moment. "Leave whatever it is on the table and make your way out." Yuki's voice came from the chair. The girl placed the key on the table and on her way out she left a brief suggestion of what it was. "That one's of the Lab."
On hearing this, Yuki spun around and to his shock, it was her who was in charge of the Lab that day. That would only mean she also brought the hamsters he hated along with her into his office (which she didn't know of). "Eh... Miss Towika." he started off with a hesitant tone. She stopped and turned around to see him pointing at her shoulder. "What?..." she mumbled as she was trying to make out what he was gesturing. Then she faced her shoulder and realized a little hamster was sitting on it. "Aaaaa!" she squeals and threw the bag aside as she stumbles away from it. "Yuki how could you?" she yelled. "I'm sorry" he exclaimed. "It was a joke".
"Your definition and my definition of jokes drastically varies!" she scolded. "Well you brought them here" he tries to blame her as he also tries to shoo the hamsters away from him. "Oh so you were hoping the mini heart attack they'd give me when I unzip my bag would just be for me alone?" she throws a sarcastic question. "...Yes" came back an honest answer.
Amidst the chaos, she could've went on and argued with him, but the hamsters were all over the place and something must be done.

So she took a deep breath and turned to him. "Look" she stated. "We have all the time in the year to argue with each other. But for now, we don't have much time before we can return them back into their cage before school closes. He looked at her, "You're right" he says. "And that is why you'll have to capture them all before sunset." She squints at him. "I guess I'll take this side of the room" he says, pointing out to the left and walks on.

Throughout the whole evening, she slowly caught them one by one as Yuki pretended to be helping but kept a distance away from the hamsters. "Well, that's all of them" she exclaims as she lets out a sigh of accomplishment. "The last time I checked there were 7" he reminded her. "But there's only 6 of them in here." She said looking into the bag. "Umm-hmm" she heard Yuki murmuring as she turns to see him trying to make an attempt of capturing his first one after spotting it in a corner. At first, he hesitates between grabbing it by hand or letting her do the job for him. She crosses her arms and enjoys the show as she watches him reach out for a paper pin near him with his leg while not trying to move from his position and let the hamster away. When he finally gets hold of the bin, he empties out the paper on the floor and covers the little hamster with it. "And that's how we do it!" he proclaims victory and to this, he saw the girl genuinely laughing for the first time. It took them both a while before she noticed he was staring at her and he realized what he was doing. "We should uhh...probably return them back to the Lab." he squeezed in a last minute save to normal down the awkward moment. "Yes. Yes we should." she played along.

Heading back to the Lab, Yuki was busy sanitizing his hands from fear of being contaminated by any communicable diseases from the hamsters. Returned to their cage, the hamsters seemed rather happy to be back. "See you little troublemakers next week" she said as she closed the Lab door. "Yuki and... friend. What are you kids still doing here in school at this hour?" asked the Headmaster who they stumbled upon on their way out. Yuki kept his silence trying to come up with an excuse but before he could provide one, she stepped in by saying "Please excuse us Sir, it's my fault. I had a tough time figuring out the locks and had to call for Yuki to help me out with it." The Head Master bought her lie with a reply that said, "Well I suppose with these locks getting jammed once in a while it could've been a problem. Alright you two, head off home now."
With that, they both made their way out.
"You" Yuki held her wrist when they got out and turned her around to him. "You're a handful of trouble yourself too aren't you?" he said looking into her eyes. This time, she grew more used to his intimidating aura and replied with a smile.

At the end of the day, the only thing contagious was her smile. For a smile lit up his face too and he says, "What do they call you?" She smiled back and said "Trouble".

And as the sun lit up her dark chocolate hair and kissed her cheeks while she walked away from him, he knew he'd have to stick around a little longer to know her name ♡