One Step Closer

Hello readers! After years and years of Hiatus, I have decided to keep going with this story. Thank you old readers and new readers for your support!

Recap: After all those trials and tribulations, Emily and Kyle share mutual feelings for each other. Too bad, they both have secrets that keep them away from each other. Emily is scared to expose her past and Kyle doesn't want her to find out about his engagement to Davina...

The magnolia and cherry blossoms were in bloom on Tuscany Academy's campus causing the air to smell sweet and fragrant. Because it was Wednesday, there were faculty meetings held in the afternoon which meant early dismissal for the student body. Hence, the school was nearly empty for a spare few. Emily was still in class finishing up her notes. She rubbed her eyes as she took a look at her schedule again. The tiny calendar boxes were packed with her loopy handwriting.

Today, she had to go to her part time job at the convenience store after school. She also had to work on her project for AP US History. Tomorrow, she had to work at the sports club after school and have a meeting with the student council. Friday, she babysat. And of course the gala. Happening in exactly 2 weeks.

Finally.

After months and months of planning, the gala would finally take place. Half of the money made from the school festival was donated to a charity of the students' choice. The rest of the money was used to throw the extraordinarily extravagant event. Last year, they rented out the entire Museum of Modern Art. This year, they chose a event space right by the Hudson River where they got a beautiful view of Downtown Manhattan. Tens of thousands of dollars for just one night, thought Emily drily. However, she did anticipate what the evening held for them. Plus, there was loads and loads of good food being served.

"Hey Emily," said Naomi cheerily as she sauntered into the classroom. "Are you free?"

"I was just about to head out," said Emily as she stretched her arms.

Naomi beamed, "Let's go to 5th Avenue! I still need to get my dress for the gala! Did you get yours yet?"

"I was just going to wear what I wore last year," said Emily as she tucked her notes back into her bag.

Naomi turned into stone. "Last year's dress?"

Emily chuckled, "yes, besides, I can't go today anyways. I have work."

"Work?" Naomi said in aghast. "But you're in high school!"

"High schoolers work too, Naomi," Emily laughed. "I gotta go before I'm late. See ya."

Naomi began to tear up. "Gosh, she's like a character out of a movie."

XX

"Aww, I wish Emily was here, too," sighed Candace. Naomi nodded in agreement as she sipped on her smoothie. They were in Bergdorf Goodman and browsing the dresses casually.
There were already boxes piled up next to them filled with shoes, jewelry, and gowns.

Naomi was still in the cream Gucci dress she had tried on as she sifted through the rows of evening gowns. Candace clasped the delicate strap of her Stuart Weitzman heels. 15 other pair of shoes were strewn around her.

"Isn't that enough? My car can't fit all of those bags, " Complained Kyle.

"A girl has to have her options open, Kyle," Naomi drawled. "Besides, I picked out a couple for Emily, too."

"Oh, I grabbed a few for her as well," said Candace as she began to put some of the dresses away.

"I bet the ones I chose are far better than yours," grinned Kyle before letting out a loud sigh.