14: The Cave

The next morning, the three of them are growing restless. It's been one night in the cave and they're already itching to stretch their legs and get some exercise, but they cannot go outside. They cannot give away their hiding place to the Ankathians.

They're all still very sore from their most recent battle. Kaj is healing the quickest since his injuries were the least significant, but they're still slowing him down. Phoenix has to move slowly because the gash in his side is finally starting to heal and it's still fairly painful for him. Valkyrie is also just beginning to heal. Her shoulder is getting better, but she still struggles to lift her sword. She also still limps, but that's getting better fairly quickly. It hurts, but it's bearable.

They decide to explore the cave. The boys follow Valkyrie since she knows the cave better than them. Phoenix takes Valkyrie's hand and doesn't let go. Kaj notices but doesn't say anything, having to suppress a smile for his friends. He always knew that they were meant to be together, but it's bittersweet for him since the pain of losing Eira is still fresh.

He misses her like crazy. He loves her so much that it often stole his breath and made is heart pound every time he saw her. The way she smiled or laughed or when she sparred with him and they would help each other up every time someone won. He can still see it in his mind and he smiles slightly. Even though she's gone, he has the memories. He'll still be able to remember her the way he wants to, with her smile on her face and the sound of her laugh in his mind. Besides, at least she won't have to fight anymore. He knows how much she hated that, but she did it because she knew that she had to. She wanted to protect her friends and those that she loved, which she did. 

His heart pangs as he turns the corner and sees Phoenix sneaking a kiss to Valkyrie. She laughs and pushes his shoulder gently, her cheeks turning a light shade of pink. Phoenix chuckles at her and pulls her into his chest and hugs her tightly. She rests her cheek against him in the same way that Eira did to Kaj. His small gasp must have been audible because they both turn and Valkyrie's eyes widen. 

"I'm so sorry, Kaj-" she starts, but he interrupts.

He gives them a crooked, weak attempt at a smile. "There's nothing to be sorry for. I'm happy that you guys are finally together."

They pull apart anyway and continue walking, thought their hands are still together. As they follow the underground river, they learn that there are extensive tunnels. 

"I had no idea that any of this was here," Valkyrie murmurs, looking around in shock. It splits off into several different direction, small torches hanging on the wall. They light as the walk by, with either Valkyrie or Phoenix lighting them. The light reflects off the water and casts blue light onto the ceiling, where the blue dances with the gentle warmth of the orange from the flames.

They decide to split off into different tunnels. There are six branches leading into different passages, and since Kaj can't light the torches, Phoenix goes with Kaj and Valkyrie is on her own.

"Be careful," Phoenix whispers to her, kissing her forehead gently. Kaj looks away, feeling his heart crack.

"I always am," she replies, the corner of one side of her mouth turning up into a cocky smirk.

Phoenix rolls his eyes. "We both know that's not true, but okay." She laughs. "Be back here in an hour, okay? We'll meet up before we search the next tunnels."

She nods before heading down the tunnel, ducking as she steps into the narrow opening. Phoenix turns to Kaj and smiles. "You ready?"

He smiles slightly. "Always."

* * *

The two boys have been walking for a while now, but the walkway created by the river shows no signs of ending anytime soon. The soothing sound of moving water is the only thing between them except for their breathing, until Phoenix breaks the silence. "How are you doing?"