7) Into the Woods

I am absolutely infuriated. Part of me understands that they want to find the body to aid Daniel's investigation, but most of me is just anxious that their attention is even marginally diverted from my friend. And I'm all-around upset.

"Is there anything I can do?" I offer glumly, not bothering to hide my distaste for the situation.

"For now, just go home and rest up. You've seen enough for today." Detective Hussler says.

"That's it? So I can't go with you, but I can't do anything else, either?"

Hussler looks at me with total seriousness, and I can see once again the tiredness behind his sleepless eyes. "You are full of pain medication for your broken leg. For now, I'm sure it's helping you cope with what you've seen, but it will wear off and you will need to be in a place where you feel safe and comfortable. If that's not your home, then go to the place that is."

That place is anywhere next to Daniel where I can hear his breaths and feel his presence. I don't say it, but my gaze diverts as the thought comes to mind.

My jaw clenches. "Fine. I'll go wallow while you find a corpse that's been decomposing for a month. Let me know if you find anything." I brush past him, fighting back tears, but he catches my arm.

"I'm not cutting you out from this investigation. But I would be damned to think you can just brush off everything you witnessed today on top of the stress of all this. Your lashing out at me and the detour in the investigation shows how close you are to breaking. So, yes, I'm sending you home. And I'm going to tell your uncle to keep an eye on you. You are in no state to go walking miles through the woods--mentally or physically."

He walks me out the door, and as we pass Baxter, the agent calls, "Hey, suiting up, Casey?"

"No, she's not." There was something in Hussler's tone that shut Baxter up instantly, and he didn't press the issue.

Hussler leans down to talk to Uncle Vic as I get in the other side.

"Yeah, I'll make sure she stays safe. But I might remind you that this wouldn't be a problem if you hadn't allowed her to go to the crime scene in the first place." If I didn't know him, I would assume Uncle Vic is only mildly annoyed, but since I do know him, I can tell he's furious.

"Take care," Hussler says with a pointed look at me and walks back into the station.

I tug the seatbelt with more force than necessary, my face twisted into a pout.

"Wanna get ice cream?"

I cast him a sidelong glance. "Actually, let's just head home. My leg is hurting."

"Okay."

I sit on my bed for no more than fifteen minutes before getting antsy. What would Daniel think if he saw me right now? I'm sure he wouldn't blame me, but I can see the hurt expression on his face. His lips would drop into the slightest frown--nothing too noticeable, because he would try to hide the betrayed look from me. His eyes would lose their sparkle, for only a moment. His face would spring back in a flash, but I would know. I would have already seen the look.

I stand, balancing on my good leg. I need to do something. But what? Uncle Vic has been swooping in like a hawk every five minutes to make sure I didn't disappear. I need a Vic-approved activity.

"Uncle Vic," I call. "Can you take me to the Oswalds' house? I haven't seen Joe or Katie since Daniel was taken."

Uncle Vic searches me for some sinister, ulterior motive. Finding none, he nods slowly. "Alright. Let's go."