14) Reunion

Daniel

Casey never left my side. It felt good to shower and wear clean clothes and brush my teeth, even though I was only missing for two days. I can't say I minded the company...there's something comforting about having someone around, as if Casey's presence alone will keep harm far away.

She snuggles up next to me, breathing in my scent. "You smell a lot better now. You were gross." She tenses after the words come out, as if it's too soon to talk about it lightheartedly. It probably always will be, but who knows? "I don't really remember, though. I was too drugged up to be coherent. But when I woke up, I felt peaceful. And I turned to the side, and I saw you." She smiles at the memory. "I really missed you."

I chuckle. "Yeah, the service really sucked in that shack. No shower or food or anything." Her laugh is hesitant, even though I wish it would come more easily. I need to make it all a joke; make it so it could have never happened at all. "I missed you too." I kiss the brace over her sprained wrist.

"I hate him," she says. "I swear, if that lunatic gets off--"

"He won't. He didn't." I kiss the top of her head and trace circles on the bulky cast over her leg. "This is going to sound bad, but I'm glad you broke your leg. I can't imagine what would have happened to you if you were right there when he came up to me."

"Did he ever tell you why he did all of that?" Before I can respond, she nuzzles herself deeper into my side, as if she could become a part of me and never lose me again. "It doesn't really matter, though, does it? There's nothing that could justify killing all those innocent kids."

"No, I guess there's not." We're both quiet for a while. "What tie should I wear to the trial tomorrow?"

"The navy one with dark green stripes."

"Really? I thought you hated that tie?"

"Yeah, well, the other blue one that used to be my favorite was what your parents were planning on burying you in."

"Really? I would have picked the orange bow-tie."

I feel the small smile creep up on her lips, but she doesn't laugh.

"You know which one I'm talking about? From when we dressed up as clowns for Halloween."

Now a short laugh escapes, though it only lasts a second. "That tie is awful."

"Exactly. I think I would want to be put into the ground with something goofy like that as a reminder to never stay too serious."

"Cheers to that."

"We should get some sleep. Do you want me to drop you off at home?"

"I think I'll stay right here. I have a decent stash of clothes that I can use for tomorrow."

I smile and roll over with minimum motion to turn off the lamp, trying not to disturb Casey too much.

In the dark, with the warmth of Casey tucked to my side, and the idea of sleep far from either of our minds, Casey whispers, "Do you think it's weird they never found Rick's body?"

Neither of I slept very well after that, thinking about what could have happened to that kid.

"Casey? You said Baxter was your friend..."

"Yeah. Hussler said he died in a car accident."

"He was in on it."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I don't know why. And I don't know how. But it sounded like some big thing. A conspiracy of sorts." I hesitate. "You know Jake is dead, right? The lunatic FBI agent murdered him before he took me to try and finish the job."

She nuzzles deeper into me, trying to hide from the horrors. I clutch her tightly, feeling a responsibility to protect her from it.

"I'm sorry I forced you to help make the search party. None of this would have happened if I hadn't..."

"Shh. Don't blame yourself. Besides, what do you mean by none of this? Benny would still be dead, but nothing would have happened to Jake. And he said something about a third target, but it wasn't supposed to be me."

"Who?"

"I don't know." Something has been picking at the back of my mind ever since I looked at Casey after returning from the nightmarish experience. "There is something you should know..."

I explain the whole thing about her parents and how they didn't die in a boating accident wth bodies lost to sea. "And he wants me to testify to corroborate the story. But I'm worried, Casey. I don't want to draw dangerous people towards my family."

She nods, but something holds back in her eyes, as if she does not fully forgive me or understand.

"You think I should," I say.

"I just..." A sigh. "I've lived seven years of my life thinking my parents died in some freak accident. And now I know they were taken and murdered and there's a chance to get justice? I just...I want to bring these people down." She stops. "But I won't hate you if you choose not to. I love you enough to support you. You have your reasons, and they're pretty darn good. I won't be so selfish as to force you to endanger your family so that my dead parents can be avenged."

I kiss her head again. "Thank you."