two; brand new

Here face to face, and we both know the truth,
You're calling my bluff, I can't lie like you do
Not A Love Song | Bülow

I wouldn't have woke up (probably ever) because I was sleeping so deeply if something hadn't put it's full weight on me, forcing me to open my eyes.

I was greeted with the sight of a large, happy Samoyed, who licked my face excitedly when he saw that I, the new human, was awake.

"Well, hey there." I managed, and he yipped, giving me another sloppy kiss. I wriggled out from underneath Denali and onto the floor, landing with a muffled thump on the thick carpet.

Within two seconds, the dog was next to me again, nudging at me to get off the floor. I stood up unsteadily, winding my fingers into his fur to find his collar, which I held onto as he led me out of the bedroom and into the hallway.

In hindsight, following a dog probably wasn't the best idea, but he seemed to know where he was going far better than I. He led me down the grand staircase, and this time around I had time to marvel at the beauty of Avi's home.

The foyer was gorgeous, which segued smoothly into the enormous family/living room on the left, and the gigantic masterchef kitchen on the right....which Avi was standing in, humming while he cooked something on the stove. He must've heard the clicking of Denali's claws on the floor, because he turned around and lit up the room with one of his famous smiles.

"Morning, Stella. How'd you sleep?" He asked, his bass voice smoothing my frayed nerves momentarily. "Better than I have in a long time." I sighed, letting go of Denali's collar. Avi chuckled, and took the skillet off of the stove that he'd been making scrambled eggs in, sliding equal portions neatly onto pristine white plates.

A platter of french toast was also on the table, along with a pitcher of orange juice, a French press filled with coffee, and bowl of brightly hued melons on ice. My extremely empty stomach rumbled loudly, and I turned pink with embarassment. Avi whipped around, concerned.

"Stella, when was the last time you ate?" He asked sharply, and I answered nearly inaudibly. I blushed even harder when he took one of my hands, squeezing it gently. "Just a little louder, sweetheart."

"W-well..." I said shamefully, "T-two days ago..."

Avi's eyes went wide with shock, and he hustled me over to the round table sat in a breakfast nook bathed in winter morning sunlight, snow still falling steadily outside the window. He sat me down in one of the richly pillowed chairs, setting the eggs in front of me along with a fork, glass, and napkin.

"Okay. Here you go. Please eat." Avi said, putting french toast and fruit on my plate as well, dousing the bread in syrup and powdered sugar. He tucked into his meal, and I cautiously picked up my fork, taking a hesitant bite.

Damn, I thought as my eyes widened. This is fucking GOOD.

That morning I ate so much I nearly made myself sick, eating and eating to the point of nausea. Avi, bless him, didn't say a thing and let me gorge myself until I couldn't anymore.
Now I was laying on Avi's living room couch, my belly swollen with food, a blanket over me while Avi searched for something suitable to watch on his 110 inch plasma flatscreen TV that was mounted above the fireplace.

"Are you feeling alright?" Avi asked, and I barely managed a nod. He chuckled. "I've never seen anyone eat that much...but then again, I've never met anyone who's starving." He said, a morose tone of voice taking over. With great difficulty, I sat up, and placed a hand on his arm.

"Are you sure I shouldn't go? I hate being a burden, and--" I started, and Avi took on the same authorative tone he'd used on me the night before. "Stella Whatever Your Middle And Last Name Are, you. Are staying. Here."
I crossed my arms with a huff, glaring at him. "My middle name is Collette, for your information, and I don't have a last name anymore because...because I don't have a family...anymore." The last part came out broken because my voice cracked. Stupid fragile emotions.

Avi's eyes immediately softened, scooting over to put an arm around my shoulders, his chin on top of my head.
"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that." He said, and I sighed. "It's fine. It's my fault for getting all emotional." I replied, and Avi huffed. "Again, that's not your fault. You've been through a lot." I leaned closer into his side, and he reciprocated by drawing me in tighter.

After a long silence, which felt a little too long, Avi grabbed his phone. "You can't just wear that forever. We need to get you clothes." He said, and I gasped.

"Avi, no! I don't need you spending money on me!" I said, and Avi rolled his eyes. "Do you really think I'm gonna listen to that?" He asked, and I was quiet. "Thought not." He smirked. "I'm gonna call Mitch, Kirstie, and Scott. I would call Kevin, but he's on business for the next week."

"Who're they?" I asked, and he smirked. "You'll see."

He stood and left me with Denali, and I stroked my hands over his fur while I waited for Avi to get off the phone. After nearly ten minutes, he came back, a wide smile on his face. "Okay, prepare. Mitch is a drama queen, and Kirstie the same but a little less so. Mitch's boyfriend Scott is the most calm out of all of them." He said, and I raised my eyebrows, uncertainty brewing in my stomach.
If Avi was this rich, what were his friends like?

Twenty minutes of agonizing waiting later, the chime of the doorbell sounded in the entryway, and Denali barked, but stayed next to me, his front feet trotting in place.

Avi went and answered the door, and in came three of the prettiest people I'd ever seen.

A slender, willowy man entered, his fluffy, expensive looking fur coat lightly dusted in snow, platinum blonde hair swept sideways across his face, reaching the base of his jaw. His nails were perfectly manicured, and his skin was dewy and clear. A Versace handbag hug from the crook of his left elbow, swinging gently as he gave Avi a hug.

I suddenly felt very intimidated.

He was followed by a gorgeous girl who was much shorter than him but still taller than me, her platform heels clicking loudly on the floor.

Her right, perfectly done eyebrow was pierced, and she delicately tucked a strand of her perfectly blown out brownish-blonde hair behind her very-pierced ear.

The last of them was well built, standing well over six feet tall, his blond hair swept up in a styled wave on top of his head. He had an attractive scruff on his upper lip, jaw, and chin, and fabulously blue eyes. He bro-hugged Avi, and then all of them turned to me.

"Guys, this is Stella, the one I told you about. Stella this is Mitch, Kirstie, and Scott."

I stood up shyly as they all walked towards me, Scott reaching me first. He smiled kindly, extending his hand to me. "Hi, I'm Scott. It's so nice to meet you." He said, and I grinned uncertainly, taking his hand and shaking it twice.

Kirstie introduced herself second, sweeping me gently into a heavily perfumed hug, surprisingly strong for someone of her stature, teetering dangerously on her heels. "Hey girl! Avi's told me so much about you!" She said, and I laughed, unsure if that was good or bad.

Finally, Mitch practically floated over to me, his whole affect screaming wealth and affluency. I looked up into surprisingly kind brown eyes, and was pulled into a hug, the fur on his coat tickling my nose. "I'm Mitch, honey, it's so nice to finally meet you. Shall we all sit down and chat?" He asked, and I smiled back, feeling slightly more at ease.

We all sat down in Avi's living room, Mitch and Scott practically stuck together, Kirstie on Mitch's left, and Avi and I sitting on the opposite couch.

"I called you three to help her with clothes, Mitch, you especially." Avi said, and Mitch lit up. "Oh of course, girl, Mama would be happy to help." He trilled. I tried my best to sit tall, feeling very very small when confronted with these three (four, I suppose, when counting Avi) aristocratical, attractive people.

Denali laid his head on my knee, and I gently patted it, his presence soothing my nerves for a second or two.

"Okay, girlfriend," Mitch said, "We're going shopping."