eight; midnight kiss

Oh I just wanna take you anywhere that you like,
We could go out any day any night,
Baby I'll take you there, take you there,
Baby I'll take you there, yeah
Kiss You | One Direction

"Absolutely not." Mitch said, after I held up what must've been about the 300th dress. "It must be gold."

I sighed. "Damn, I really thought that one would be a winner." I said, putting the dress back on the hanger. Mitch rolled his eyes, crossing and recrossing his slender legs. "Honey, that was a blue gown with black embellishments." He had a point.

When I was about ready to give up, Mitch let out a shriek. "Yes! That one! Put it on!" I looked at the dress, and had to admit that it was lovely. It was a gold Marchesa mermaid gown with butterfly sleeves and intricate beading, and of course there were shoes that matched it to a T.

"We're getting it." Mitch said matter-of-factly once it was on my body, and even I had to agree with him. It looked fantastic.

I still cringed when I bought expensive things, and considering it was a 10,000 dollar dress paired with 700 dollar shoes, I nearly cried. The dress was wrapped carefully, and the shoes boxed, and we were off to get ready for the absolutely enormous party being held at the Grassi mansion that night.

Mitch did my makeup while Kirstie did my hair, and I soon enough looked like I might fit in at a party like Mitch's. Kirstie looked breathtaking in a plum Zac Posen mermaid gown and matching heels, a black fur draped around her shoulders. I had a white one over my gold gown, which complimented the crystal beads nicely.

Mitch slayed the scene as usual in a pristine white shirt, sparkly gold blazer, black leather pants, and black platform Valentino creepers. "Well, shall we head down? Ready?" Mitch asked, and I sighed. "Ready as I'll ever be."

I was aghast to see about a billion people in Mitch's enormous house, the entire place decorated in white and gold, swarovski crystals and champagne everywhere I looked.

My eyes scanned for Avi, and I soon found him among presumably rich guests, chatting and looking debonair as hell in a gold suit jacket, black shirt, black pants, and leather shoes.

I waved and caught his attention as Kirstie ran off with her fiance Jeremy, and Mitch found Scott and the alcohol. Avi walked over after excusing himself, his eyes lighting up when he saw me. "Hello, sweetheart, you look beautiful as usual. I love the dress." He said, kissing my cheek.

"You look amazing too, Av." I said, and let him lead me over to the people he had been talking to, who all turned their eyes to me as I fought the urge to hide behind Avi or curl into a ball.

"Everyone, this is my girlfriend Stella." Avi said, and I almost fell over. Girlfriend?! "Stel, you already know Kevin, this is Mr. and Mrs. Carlos DeAngelo. They own the Maserati and Alfa Romeo dealerships in Queens." Avi said, and I tried my best to shake their hands when they offered, trying to look taller. "It's really nice to meet you," I smiled, and Mrs. DeAngelo peered down at me with a hawkish gaze. "You as well, miss...?"

"Grassi." I smiled, and she raised her eyebrows. "Oh, you're related to Mitchell?" She asked, and I nodded, trying to mask my unease. "Mitch is my cousin." I said, and she looked at her husband with a sideways glance. "Ah. How sweet."

We made small talk for a few more moments before, thank god, Avi offered to get champagne, and I offered to go with him. "I don't think they like me very much." I said as I took a drink, and Avi raised an eyebrow.

"I don't think that's true, but I could tell you were uncomfortable." He said, and I sighed. "Dammit. I was hoping you wouldn't notice."

He chuckled, taking my hand. "I notice everything, baby. Can't hide nothing from me." I rolled my eyes, reaching up to kiss his cheek. "I suppose you're right."

"Just think," He whispered in my ear, sending delightful shivers down my spine, "In a few days we'll be in Holden Beach. All. By. Ourselves." He kissed my forehead and I smiled, letting out a giggle. "I absolutely can't wait."

Soon enough we were (more accurately I was because Avi somehow already knew all of these damn people) swept back into awkward conversations and introductions, still not missing the fact that I was no longer introduced as "Mitch's cousin" or "My friend Stella" but as "My girlfriend Stella".

I was thoroughly exhausted as the clock crept nearer to midnight, and soon it was 11:59. Everyone rushed for the champagne flutes as Mitch's voice rang out, and Avi miraculously secured two for him and I and a place by one of the floor to ceiling windows so we could see the fireworks over the lake.

Yes, Mitch had a lake in his backyard.

People began to chant as Avi drew me to his chest with his free arm, his heat radiating through my body.

"10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1! HAPPY NEW YEAR!" Everyone called out in unison, and Avi pressed his lips to mine as fireworks exploded over the lake and gold and silver confetti rained down over our heads. He pulled back gently, a sweet smile on his face as we clinked our champagne together gently.

"Happy new year, my love." He said, kissing my forehead, and I smiled, closing my eyes.

"Happy New Year, Avi. I love you."