new words

eleven is introduced to a new word during her art class. 

"uh........it's like kissing. but like......really intense," 

enjoy

~~~~

el's favorite class was science. she hated actually learning about science and performing experiments, but mike was in that class. he would get so passionate and into the lesson that he was just uncontrollable and it was adorable. and because el was his lab partner, she always got 100% on labs and got to spend time with mike as well. 

but she loathed art. 

she loved actually learning new ways to create a new color or texture, but the girls were strange. they constantly talked about boys- but not just one boy. they talked about a new boy every ten minutes and commentated on his hair, his outfit, his area, his physique, and the way he displayed his personality. it was like they were describing an object. el sat at the giggling girls' table. she would just do her art in silence and ignore the girls, but today it was inevitable. 

today, el heard the whispers that seemed to be avoiding her ears and the eyes that scanned her body. el shifted uncomfortably without looking up. 

suddenly a girl tapped her on the shoulder and giggled, "hey, are you with mike?" 

el smiled softly and nodded before returning to her art. 

but the same girl tapped her again, "so, have you guys like, kissed?" 

el nodded, "many times," 

the girls all giggled in response. 

"have you two slept together?" 

el drew her eyebrows together, "what?" 

the girls giggled again, "you know. like, did you hook up?" 

el just bit her lip and tilted her head, displaying confusion. 

the girls were intrigued by el's lack of knowledge or ability to read between the lines, so the girl spoke in a whisper so that teacher wouldn't hear her, "have you guys like, had sex?"

el drew her eyebrows even closer together, "what's that?" 

the girls' jaws dropped. they all had sex ed in like fifth grade, how did this girl avoid talk of sex ed; they were in 10th grade. there's no way that she could avoid it for this long.

"um.....are you serious?" a girl asked. 

el nodded, curious, "yeah. what's it mean?" 

the girl that had asked the question laid a hand on el's arm, "honey, you're an innocent flower waiting to bloom. i think we'll tell you another time," 

el bit her lip, glancing over at the other girls who whispered with one another and returned to their drawing. mike often compared her to a flower. but he made it sound like she was prestigious; like she was the best thing in the world. but here, it seemed like they were degrading her. 

el just returned to her drawing. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

when el reunited with mike afterschool in the av room, they were alone. he was already there, working on a broken projector. so when el opened the door to enter she gave him a soft smile, to which mike responded by looking up, and smiling, saying, "hey,"

el smiled and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, before approaching him. he kept working on his projector as el stood behind him, watching his careful hands remove a screw. 

"hey mike?" el asked, holding her math textbook close to her chest. 

"yeah?" mike replied, still mostly focused on his tools. 

"um....what's sex?" 

mike tensed up and dropped his screwdriver onto the floor, where the handle hit his foot. 

el gasped, "mike! are you okay?" 

"ow!" he said, as he went to pick it up, he sent her a nervous glance, "who told you that?"

"some girls in my art class," el said, trailing off, "are you okay?" 

"yeah, i'm fine," mike said, "you should ask your dad. i......i don't think i'm really right for this conversation," 

"but mike," el protested, "i wanna know," 

mike turned to face her, his face as red as a tomato, "uh......okay. it's like when people love each other a lot......and then wanna show it," 

"what's it like?" 

"i don't know," mike said, "the only person i ever loved is you," 

"i know, but how does it work?" el asked. 

"uh........it's like kissing. but like......really intense, then you do really intimate things.....i guess," mike stuttered. 

"ooh! i like kissing. have we done it?" 

mike tensed up, "no! and i don't plan on it," 

el drew her eyebrows together, approaching him, placing her math textbook on the table. she reached up to caress his cheek, "but i love you a lot," 

mike blushed even harder, "and i love you, but it's more of an adult thing," 

el bit her lip, "then why did the girls in my art class ask if we've done it? can teenagers do it too?" 

mike looked down at the ground, "uh....they can, but it's not good," 

"no? why no?" 

"because......because it's different," mike said, "it's......how babies are born.....and we don't want a baby. not now, anyways,"

el drew her eyebrows together, "has hopper done it?" 

mike's eyes widened, and he turned back towards his table, "jesus! i don't know. maybe," 

"when he used to be married, he had a baby named sarah," el said. 

"well, then, probably," mike said, picking up his screwdriver. he looked flustered and frustrated. el felt bad. she didn't mean to make him feel weird. 

el came up from behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist, her head resting on his back. she whispered, "i'm sorry that i made you uncomfortable. i just wanted to know," 

mike sighed, placing his screwdriver down, placing his hands on top of his girlfriend's, "i'm sorry. sometimes i forget you're still learning. i forget you don't know things," 

el smiled softly, "that's ok. we don't have to talk about it anymore. hey, when we get home, just remember it's my turn to pick the movie," 

mike giggled and groaned, "please don't pick another old movie," 

el giggled, and mike turned around to face her, as el said, "we're watching east of eden with james dean,"

"god, you can't get enough of that guy. just remember that you love me, first," mike said, placing his arms around her waist, as el placed hers around his neck, giggling. 

"of course, of course," el said, as she planted a soft kiss on his lips. when el pulled away, she looked around at the empty av club. 

"where's everybody else?"

lmao sorry if that was weird, i just thought it'd be a funny idea. i wonder if they're gonna tackle that subject in s3???