crime and punishment

el breaks a party rule; thus inducing a proper trial. 

"that means we have to hold a trial,"

~~~~

"you did what!?" will yelled.

"you can't do that!" max scolded.

"that's just.....wrong. c'mon," dustin whined.

with each word that came out of her friend's mouth, el felt herself shrink more and more.

"that breaks the party rule," lucas said, his eyes wide. everybody's heads snapped toward lucas, and they gasped, their mouths wide open. lucas looked at el sympathetically, "that means we have to hold a trial,"

"a trial!?" mike yelled, his arm wrapping around el's waist, "c'mon guys lighten up. it was a one-time thing. el probably didn't even know we had a law for that,"

lucas shook his head, "it's party law. if you break party law, a trial must be held to determine the punishment for the accused based on how severe the action was,"

mike rolled his eyes, "fine. this is so stupid,"

lucas turned and opened up to the whole group, "the trial will be at my house after school,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"will the defendant please rise?" lucas asked, standing in front of all five, "the jury has reached a verdict,"

"mike, i'm confused," el whispered.

all six of the kids were in lucas' empty living room sitting on his couch, watching as lucas tested out his mini-court. mike was just.....tired. he really didn't care that el had done what she did- she really didn't know what she was doing, she's still just learning.

"the verdict is that el can't see mike for the rest of the day," lucas declared, "court adjourned,"

el gasped, clutching onto mike's arm.

suddenly, mike drew his eyes together, both confused and angry, "hold on, how is this related to the crime, like at all?"

"it's not, she just needs to learn her lesson," lucas said.

mike rolled his eyes as el grasped onto him tighter. mike turned to el and whispered in her ear, "lucas just wanted an excuse to separate us. don't worry, el, i won't let him- hey!"

suddenly, dustin and lucas grabbed mike and dragged him out of the room away from el, while will and max held onto el.

"hey! you guys! what the heck?!"

"party law," dustin said. then he pushed mike outside and shut the door behind him.

lucas said though the window, "we'll keep el here until tonight at eight. you can survive five hours without her, right?"

"lucas! this is so dumb!"

"right?" he said, much harsher this time. 

mike sighed, "right,"

"okay," lucas said, beginning to shut the window, "if you come back before then, the punishment extends into tomorrow. see you at 9,"

mike grabbed his bike off the ground and mumbled to himself, "seriously? all this for mixing up star wars and star trek,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mike was lying on his bed staring at the ceiling. there were, like, a thousand better things he could be doing rather than lying down staring into oblivion.

but he just couldn't get his mind off her. when he left her, she seemed so scared and confused. she's still learning how to assimilate into the group. it wasn't fair that this had to happen.