Chapter 33 || "Punish You"

"Speak of the devil." I mumble, covering half of my face with my hand, hoping Xavier won't notice us. "He's what I was talking about. He's the reason I'm nervous about tomorrow."

Only I would manage to have a class with both my boyfriend and ex-boyfriend in the same class, and then have their statuses flip in less than a week.

"Don't worry, just ignore him." Shawn says, and I sigh.

"I'm not worried like the way you're thinking. I know he isn't going to rude or anything; he's way too nice to do that. He'll be so nice that it'll just end up being extremely awkward." I groan.

"Ignoring him still applies. I think I like that idea best." Shawn says, and I roll my eyes.

I look up, and at the same exact moment, Xavier starts to turn his head to his side. I go to look away, but it's already too late. Our eyes meet, and there's no turning back now. I gulp and force myself to smile, waving to him. Xavier smiles and waves back, and before I can blink, he's walking over to us.

"Fuck, he's coming over." I whisper to Shawn.

"What?!" Shawn says, the panic evident in his tone.

"Please be nice." I beg him before looking up.

"Hi Xav." I say, smiling at him.

"Hey Helaina. Hi Shawn." Xavier says. Shawn just nods in his direction, picking up his phone and going on it. I frown, mentally reminding myself to yell at him later for blatantly ignoring my orders.

"It's so random that we keep seeing each other today. First the coffee shop, now here." I say to Xavier, and he nods.

"Yeah, really." he agrees.

"So, what are you doing here anyway?" I ask. "It's kind of far from campus."

"Oh, I work here. I just came by to pick up my schedule." he says, and my eyes widen.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah. You know, if you're interested, we're hiring right now and I could definitely get you a job if you wanted one." he says, and I see Shawn tense up in my peripheral vision.

"Thanks, but I actually just went looking for jobs today and I got a bunch of applications." I say, pulling them out of my purse and showing him. "Hopefully at least one of them works out."

"Yeah, well if not, you can always text me and you'll definitely have a job." he says.

"Thanks Xav, really. That's so sweet of you." I smile, and he nods in return.

"Yeah, no problem. See you later, Helaina." Xavier says, smiling. He walks away and out of the restaurant, leaving Shawn and I alone at the table.

"What the fuck was that?" Shawn curses a little too loudly.

"I don't know, you tell me. Oh wait, I don't think you'd be able to because you were on your phone the whole time being rude!" I shoot back.

"You're so naive, Helaina. He was blatantly flirting with you right in front of me and you're going to act like you had no idea?" he asks, and I roll my eyes.

"Xavier was not flirting with me. We broke up." I remind him.

"Yeah, because of your decision. If it was up to him, you two still would've been together."

"That doesn't change anything. The matter of the fact is that you and I are dating again and Xav is a nice guy who respects that."

"For fucks sake, will you stop calling him that?" Shawn yells, his voice rising above the rest of the noise in the restaurant. The tables near us look over, and my face turns red.