Chapter 44 || "Just A Friendly Kiss"

"The way we play or the way you play?" Allia asks.

"You play." I respond, thinking of how it went last time.

"Okay, sure. Dylan, go get a bottle." Piper says, pushing him away. He stands up, heading into the house to retrieve an empty beer bottle. He returns a minute later, putting it down. "You can go first blondie, since it was your idea."

I take the bottle from Piper and put it down. I spin the bottle, watching as it goes round and round until it stops, pointing at Caleb. Julia and I look at each other, and without her having to say anything, I shake my head.

"I'll take a shot." I say.

"Are you sure it's a good idea to mix weed and alcohol?" Shawn asks me quietly.

"It's fine, dad." I say with an eye roll. "It's just one shot."

Someone hands me a shot glass full of vodka- I'm too stoned to remember who by the time they leave- and I down it. My face scrunches up at the taste and everyone laughs. I slide the beer bottle over to Caleb, being it's now his turn to spin. The bottle spins and lands on Hazel, and I stop paying attention after that.

"Shawn." I say, tapping him on the arm.

"What?"

"Why didn't you answer any of my texts?" I ask.

"Because I'm mad at you." he replies, and I frown.

"But you aren't anymore, right?"

He shakes his head.

"Yes, I am Helaina. I'm still mad at you."

"Why?" I ask, taking my arms and wrapping them around his neck.

"You can't just go around doing shit behind my back and expect for me to not get mad." he responds, taking my arms off of him.

"I was trying to be nice!" I exclaim, but he still shakes his head.

"Hey, stop talking and pay attention to the game." Piper snaps. I frown, but face forward again. Piper has the bottle in her hand now, and when she spins it, it lands on Skylar. "Give me the vodka."

Someone passes her the vodka bottle and the shot glass, filling it up. Piper tilts her head back and swallows the alcohol. Skylar takes the beer bottle from Piper and spins it. After s few seconds, it starts to slow until it comes to a stop and points at Shawn and I. The three of us all look to Piper, the unofficial rule maker for the game.

"What do we do?" Skylar asks.

"You kiss whoever it landed on, dumbass." Allia pipes up, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, but Helaina and Shawn are both sitting there. So who do I have to kiss?" Skylar asks.

"You two are dating, right?" Allia asks, suddenly looking at me and Shawn. I nod.

"Kiss him." Piper says, pointing to Shawn. My heart sinks in my chest and I shake my head.

"No, she can't do that." I say, sitting up straight. "Skylar, you can't do that."

"Why not? You kissed Sebastian before and we weren't even playing anything!" Skylar shouts, her face contorting in anger. Beneath me, I can feel Shawn tense up.

"You kissed Sebastian?" Shawn asks through gritted teeth. His grip on me tightens, his fingers digging into my skin.

"It was a friendly kiss! I kissed everyone here!" I yell, panic bubbling up in my throat.

Wordlessly, Shawn takes me off of his lap and stands up, walking over to Skylar. I sit down and stare at the ground, not wanting to watch what happens next. Still, I can hear the sound of them kissing; I can feel the bile rising in my throat. It must only last a few seconds, but to me, it feels like it lasts a lifetime. I look back up, making eye contact with Skylar as she sits back down.