Medicine

You were sick. Very sick. Your fever was 106° and rising, and it was starting to turn serious. Your hands were clammy and cold, your whole body ached and was bathed in sweat, and you were fading in and out of consciousness. You were laying in a fluffy bed with medicine surrounding you on the table. You could feel yourself slipping away again into an unexplainable darkness, and you finally let yourself go.

***

When you finally came back to your senses, you noticed a tall, lean figure standing over you. He had come back in your room with a cold, damp cloth, and was gently laying it on your aching forehead, which soon soothed away some of the pain. He has stood by your bedside ever since you were sick, watching over you and caring for you. He softly speaks, and it numbs more pain.

"I'm not going to lose you," he whispers.

Somehow, you manage to speak.

"I won't let go, Tom," you say hoarsely, and settle deep into the pillow. His long fingers gently caress the skin on your neck before taking your pulse and listening to your heart which is beating too slowly. He kisses you on the lips briefly for what you believe is the last time, and he gets up, preparing to lift you. You need to go to the hospital. Once again, you decide to just fade away.

***

You wake up while doctors and nurses poke and prod you, you feel a sharp pain and they've inserted an IV. A heart monitor beeps, and Tom is beside you, holding your hand. You must be in the emergency room.

"Stay with me," he says, and he looks into your eyes. Everything is fuzzy and your vision is blurry, so you can't really make anything out.

You take deep breaths and fight the deadly pull of sleep, focusing on his beautiful face and how much you'll fail him if you give up. The lights shine brightly in your eyes, and another damp cloth is placed on your forehead, making you want to go even more. But no. You won't go. You won't just leave him to suffer and mourn. You breathe heavily as he squeezes your hand tighter, so hard that it hurts, but you don't mind. The pain helps, it helps you to know that you are still alive, and that you may just pull through.

He looks fiercely into your eyes, knowing that you're starting to fade again. This time you do, because a doctor plunges a sedative into you, and you go under.

***

"She should be fine, her fever has drastically reduced, and she should be cleared of the virus."

"Oh, that is wonderful, thank you so much."

You hear Tom's and the doctor's voices echoing throughout the room. When you awake, Tom is sitting beside you on the hospital bed, playing gently with your hair.

"You're so strong," he smiles. "You fought through that with true bravery."

You yawn and prop yourself up slowly on your elbows, smiling as well. Before you know it, you're kissing, and he's crawled on top of you, kissing you deeply.

"God, I love you," he mutters, and kisses you more.

You both fall asleep together laying side by side, with his arms tenderly wrapped around you and you snuggling into his warmth. He was the best boyfriend ever, and you knew that you both wanted to spend an eternity together.