Chapter Four

Riley

  "YOU scared me!" I yelled, smacking Brody's chest with the book. "We thought you weren't gonna make it!"
"Well, I did," Brody grinned. "Just in time, too,"
"You're an idiot, Brody Boop!" I grumbled, before heading back to the wheel. Gabe had taken over when I went to scold Brody, but now he was laughing and the boat was racking slightly. I shoved him out of the way and he hit the wall, clutching his stomach.
  "Brody Boop?!" He wheezed between chuckles. I glared at him. "What, you expect me to take your seriously when you angrily called him Bro–?"
  "Shut up, Gabriella," I snapped, and his laughter died in an instant. "He scared me! What was I supposed to do?"
  "For starters, maybe you shouldn't call him Brody Boop when you're mad," he spat. "Unless you purposely act stupid for attention,"
  "Maybe you should shut the frickity frack up, unless you purposely act like a complete jerk to get girls," I glared at him, before closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. "Sorry," I mumbled, looking straight ahead.
  "Whatever,"
  I gripped the wheel tightly, and he walked out.

  Poop.

                                 •

  Turn back, a voice rang in my head.
  No, that's stupid. We're almost there, another voice replied.
  Turn back.
  No.
  Turn back!
  No.
  Turn back, you little sh–
  "Not in my Christian suburbs," I whispered to myself.

  A knock on the door, then Aries' head poked in. "We almost there?"
  "About five minutes away," I replied, seeing the outline of the island. It wasn't too far from home, but excitement mixed in with fear made it seem like it was miles away. I couldn't wait to stop steering this darn boat.
  "Okay, good, because Ester's seasick,"
  I sighed and focused on the island drawing nearer. "Tell her to hang in there, alright?"
  Aries nodded and the door closed once again.

Turn around. You'll die on this island. You aren't going to make it out alive, the foreign voice said again.

  Good thing I don't need to, my voice replied in my head.

  I knew I was crazy, but dang.

  There was an old boat dock still intact, so I pulled up into it and turned off the engine, before walking out and tying it. "You're no longer allowed to steer this boat," Ester groaned, clutching her stomach. She ran off and practically face planted into the grass.
  "Am I that bad?" I chuckled, grabbing two bags and walking off the boat.
  "Yes," Brody breathed, toppling out of the boat behind me.
  "Lesson learned; don't let Riley steer a boat," Jesse groaned.

                                   •

  You're making a big mistake, the voice whispered to me again.
  Nobody cares, peasant, my voice replied.

  The sun was going down for a nap, causing the once blue sky to be painted swirling colours of pink, purple and orange. We had been wandering around the abandoned town, looking for anything that could be considered the, "leftover," but to no avail. All we found were crumbled houses, and I doubt that those would guide us.
  "We should set up the tents," Aries said, "before it's too dark,"
  "I'll share with Aries," Gabe commented. She rolled her eyes.
  "No, you won't. You'll share with the boys, where you'll just have to fantasize what could've been," she replied.
  "Don't give him ideas," Brody begged. "He'll think something too nasty for Riley's virgin ears,"
  "I live with Anthony, I don't have virgin ears," I defended myself.

  A twig snapped, and we all went silent.

  Ester started to walk towards it, almost lazily, whilst pulling a small gun out of her back pocket. "Who's there?" She called, still walking towards the noise. A figure appeared from behind some ruins and she pointed the gun.
  "Wait, don't shoot!" Someone yelled. They stepped into the light and revealed themselves to be a boy our age with red hair.
  He was taller than me, but shorter than Brody, who was the shortest male in the group. His forehead was dotted with acne scarring and his nose turned upward slightly, whilst his brown eyes seemed to pierce through my very soul. It was weird.
  "Who are you?" Ester demanded, still holding him at gunpoint.
  "My name's Biqaya," he said, his hands shaking by his sides. "I haven't seen anyone else for years,"
  "Biqaya..." I whispered under my breath. "I feel like I've heard that somewhere,"
  "Biqaya is Arabic," Jesse said aloud. "It means, 'remains,' or, 'leftovers,',"
  "What kind of bad boy knows Arabic?" Aries whispered with a chuckle. He shot a glare at her before looking back to Biqaya.
  "Wow, the demon couldn't be any more obvious, could they?" Ester mumbled, lowering the gun.
  "Well, they could've said, 'This guy named Biqaya is gonna help your sorry a–'," Brody began.
  "Not in my Christian suburbs!"