Aerospace II - Iceland Seer

Aerospace II : The Island Cycle

Iceland Seer

Gordon Best

Chapter 1 : Sophia

She found me at the hotel in Myvatn. I was only 14 and I had almost starved to death. They tried to find out where I came from. I would not tell them. I was not saying much, because I did not want to go back to my mother, and the town that seemed to hate me.

When Gudrun entered the clinic and saw the pathetic little girl in the bed, she jumped back and slipped down against the wall. She had definitely seen a ghost. I was not all there and it was only much later, that I learned what really frightened her.

A nurse came in and found Gudrun sitting dazed on the floor. She helped her up. I just stared at the woman. She was very old and skinny. I was wondering if there was something wrong with her. She took a cup of coffee from the nurse and sat down beside my bed.

"I hope that does not happen again. Sophia, you must think I am crazy." she said.

I just looked at her. She was talking to me as if I mattered.

"I was going to ask you to tell me who you are, and where you come from. But now that I see you, I know."

That surprised me.

Gudrun said, "I am going to tell you a story. It is a true story. My history and your future."

I said, "Please tell me." My eyes were fixed on her. But my body was telling me to sleep.

"I am a seer. That means I know about the future. You are part of that future. We have been joined together since the day you were born..."

I think I went to sleep about then.

When I woke up she was standing in the doorway watching me. I don't remember any adult paying me this attention before.

She brought a tray of food over and set it on my bed table. I sat up and began eating with a great appetite. She just watched me and smiled.

I guess she was in her 80s. The old woman is showing her age. I wanted to thank her for talking to me like a person. But my mouth was always full and again I was getting sleepy.

Gudrun said, "I am glad that you have come. For many years I have been waiting for this day. It tells me that many things are about to change. I will need your help..." Again I must have fallen asleep. I was glad she was not threatening me with punishment. She was not going to force my mother's name nor was I going back to Egilsstadir.

So a couple of hours later she started telling me about the adventures she had been on. I believed her. She was just that type of person to go to Mars and the Moon. She said she was a medicine woman and had put something good in my food to make me strong. She said I would need to be very strong. The bad times were coming.

When I was stronger, Gudrun came to get me. She sat me up front in the passenger seat and took me north to the valley where she had a farm. There were a line of brown and green domes up behind the house. Each quite long and high. Gudrun said there were ten of them running north along the highway. Up against the cliff.

Gudrun said, "That is the university. It has grown a lot since Sharon first came. She is now on Mars and I am alone."

I wondered why she was alone. She was an important person and should have people all about her.

I asked her, "Why are you alone?"

She looked at me with a serious face. "I was waiting for you girl. I was waiting for you."