The Legend of Zelda: Loss of the Loved

The roar of the Great Deku Tree echoed throughout Kokiri Forest. Many Kokiri sat inside their tree-homes, waiting, worrying, weeping; all except Saria - of course - and Mido.

"You killed him, didn't you," He shouted, narrowing his eyes. "You killed the Great Deku Tree... you damned all of us. What do you think will become of our fairies without the Great Deku Tree's magic? What do you think will become of us without fairies? You inconsiderate bas-"A loud scream cut him off. It came from the general direction of the Lost Woods. I turned to run, but Mido stopped me. "Just because you're older than us... it doesn't mean we need your help, Link." I shook my head. That scream could've been Saria, I thought. She could be stuck in the Lost Woods, being tortured by Skull Children, and Mido just wants me to sit here and do nothing?

"That could be Saria in there; I'm going, no matter what you say." As Mido saw the passion in my face, he stepped aside and pointed to the Lost Woods. "Just because I haven't been here for a while, doesn't mean I forget." I mumbled.

"Saria?" I called. "Saria? Are you in here?" As I rounded the corner and went through a tunnel, I heard a girl crying. It was a continuous sound, so I followed it until I found the owner. A girl, no older than my own age of seventeen, sat, balled up in the corner. Her tears flowed freely, and she clearly didn't care who saw her crying. Blood dripped down her face, colouring her pale cheeks, her dress was torn, and she had cuts and bruises all over. She didn't look up at me as I walked over. "Hello?" Her blood streaked face tilted up to look at me, trying hard not to tremble as much as she was. When she saw my sword, she squirmed to get further back in to the corner. I grabbed the heavy metal weapon, and threw it across the floor, as with my quiver, bow and shield. "I'm not going to hurt you," I whispered.

"Are any of you healers?" I yelled as I carried the girl into the main village, my weapons comfortably shifting on my back, once again. It occurred to me that, no matter how long I'd lived there, I'd never found out anybody's occupations. A small girl came up to me and said,

"The nearest healer is in Lake Hylia." I cursed under my breath, thanked the citizens of Kokiri Forest, and ran towards Hyrule Field.

Epona was waiting for me, and I pushed the unknown girl on the saddle, then I got on behind her, grabbing the reins and urging Epona in to a gallop. Lake Hylia was a day's trek, at least, and it got kind of confusing, especially if you made the same mistake I made when I was a child. Gerudo Valley was one way, Lake Hylia the other. When I was younger, I'd got my directions confused and entered Gerudo Valley. I hadn't realised there was a gap in the bridge, and I'd fallen straight in to the river. It was a long fall, and I had broken a couple of bones, but I was fine, really. I just hoped I didn't make that mistake again, not when this girl depended on me so badly. I was her last hope. If I don't get her to an apothecary soon, she might die. I thought.

Luckily, Navi guided me and told me which way to go. I guess that kind of made up for all of those years she'd made me want to bash her with my shield several times.

"Navi, I'm sorry," I whispered. She came fluttering out of my quiver to ask,

"What for?" I shook my head.

"For getting so annoyed with you when I was younger, I shouldn't have done, you were only trying to help."

"It's okay," She mumbled.

"What do you want?" The Crazy Scientist shouted through the oak door. It was night time, and I guessed he was probably asleep when I'd rapped on his door.

"I need your help, Sir!" The door swung open and he took in the state the girl was in. Then, he beckoned for us to go inside.

"Can you help her?" I asked, sitting down in one of the armchairs. The girl was placed on the table, lying down, while the scientist examined her. I noticed the pool at the edge of his house and was suddenly itching to go swimming. The scientist obviously saw the anticipation on my face, because he told me to jump in, but I decided not to; the girl was more important than my childish temptations.