Chapter 2: Courtney's PoV

I wrapped my arms around Link and rested my head on his shoulder. His strong hands filled my back with warmth as they curled in to fists. Clearly he was angry. Does he have feelings for Sheik? Or is she just a friend? Jealous thoughts ran through my buzzing mind whilst the cool, salty tears ran down my cheeks and soaked Link’s emerald tunic.

“Did you know her?” He asked, distantly.

“No, no I didn’t know Sheik.” I whispered.

“Why are you crying? You didn’t know her,” He said, still staring straight ahead.

“I guess it’s been an emotional day,” I was a bad liar, the Zora that had brought me up had told me so, and it was clear Link could tell, too.

“You’re jealous aren’t you? Jealous that she’s my friend, you think I like her, don’t you?” he asked, moving his gaze to me and letting me go. “Don’t you?” He yelled. I shook my head as the tears started to flow faster. He shoved me and I felt my head collide with something hard and sharp. I put my left arm up to feel where the pain was, and when I moved it away, a deep red liquid was dripping off of my hand. Blood, my mind whispered to me. Link’s face seemed to change from angry-to-concerned-to-worried. I could just about feel one arm going around my neck, the other around my waist as he lifted me up. Princess Ruto had run off to find her father, and I guessed that was where we were going, too.

            Link placed me down on one of the smooth sidewalks. I heard the rustling of bags, when he pulled out the first aid kit I’d bought earlier. I tried to smile.

“I bruise easy,” I whispered, but then I realised that Link was crying, and repeating two words over and over again.

“I’m sorry,” He mumbled. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,” I put my hand out and stroked his cheek.

“It’s okay,” I said, quietly. “You didn’t mean it, its okay, Link.” He looked up at me, as if only just realising I was awake, then shook his head and continued searching the first aid kit. Finally, he came up with a bandage, which I tried to refuse having around my head, but Link insisted. After wrapping it around my head, he laughed.

“Ever wanted to be a pirate?” He asked. I shook my head, laughing too hard to speak. It confused me how, someone he’d known for ages was missing and yet, there he was, bandaging up some girl’s head when he hardly knew her.

“Link, come quick!” Ruto’s voice rang out through my frozen homeland. He looked at her serious face, then at me, then back at Ruto.

“I’ll be fine,” I mumbled, the smiles and laughs gone from my voice. He nodded and jogged off to catch up with the Princess of the Zoras. Just before they turned the corner, I saw Link consulting Navi. Suddenly, she flew towards me.

“Link told me to stay with you and make sure you’re okay,” She said. I nodded and continued staring at Ruto and Link. “So, are you okay?” She asked. She’s persistent, I’ll give her that, I thought.

“Can I tell you a secret?” She nodded and hovered closer. “I’m jealous, but you can’t tell Link.”

“Okay,” She said. A scream came from the Zora’s Fountain. It took me a little while to get up without feeling dizzy, but eventually, Navi and I were racing towards it.

            “Link!” I screamed. “Oh my gosh, Link,” Tears started falling down my cheeks, and, before I even realised what I was doing, my hair was sticking to my face. As I dived deeper, I could see Link was unconscious. I grabbed his hand just as my breath ran out. My lungs felt like they were burning and my limbs felt like dead weights. If I can just reach the surface, we’ll be fine. When I looked up to see how far the surface was, a blue hand was reaching down. I grabbed and Ruto pulled us both to the surface.