Ch 5. Fire

Cela leaves the circus and runs the whole way home, with tears running down her face, not even caring who sees her, with her make-up all smudged from crying and mascara mixed in with her tears

Cela leaves the circus and runs the whole way home, with tears running down her face, not even caring who sees her, with her make-up all smudged from crying and mascara mixed in with her tears. She reaches her small house before barging in, scaring the life out of Anne and WD who were waiting up to make sure she got home safely.

The two see the state that their sister is in and immediately rush to her side, closing the front door as they lead her towards the couch.

"What happened, did he hurt you?" WD asks hurriedly, feeling anger in his veins as he thinks of what Philip could have done to his sister.

Cela shakes her head, before explaining to her brother what had happened, Anne pulling her sobbing sister into a tight hug when she finishes.

"Oh, Cela," Anne says with a small sigh, wishing her sister would just put aside what everyone else will think and just be happy. Anne looks to WD who gives her a small nod before he kisses Cela's forehead and Anne takes her to their room, cleaning her make-up off her face before helping her into her bed.

Just as Anne gets into her own bed and is about to reach over and turn off her lamp, Cela's voice breaks the silence, making her freeze at the three words her sister says.

"Anne, I love him" She hears her sister say sleepily, causing her eyes to widen. She knew her older sister had strong feelings towards Philip but she never thought that she would admit to loving him, hearing Cela's heavy breathing she knows that her older sister is asleep and reaches over, turning the lamp off before closing her eyes and letting darkness surround her.

...

A few days later they were doing another show, Barnum was still on tour with Miss Lind, leaving Philip in charge of the circus. Things between Cela and Philip have been different, they are a little closer, more touchy but Cela still refuses to let anything happen between them, things have also been slightly awkward since what happened the night of the theater when she admitted that she was worried about how people would look at him if they were together, but despite the awkwardness they still can't manage to keep away from each other.

Right now Cela and Philip were standing together at the entrance to the circus, the show ended a few minutes ago and people are leaving, Philip is telling people that he hopes they enjoyed the show while Cela is smiling down at a small group of four children, three boys and one girl, who are asking her how she gets the animals to do what she wants.

"Magic," she says softly with a wink, causing the children to beam at her giggling as they look at each other, the young girl looking at Cela with awe and wonder in her eyes, as the older girl smiles softly at her. Suddenly two woman and two men come up to the children giving Cela disgusted looks as they usher their children away from her, Philip glares at the parents when he sees how Cela's smile quickly drops and she looks at the floor.