dix-sept

Chapter Seventeen:

Lucas felt dizzy when he woke up. He was on the couch in his living room. The curtians parted and light shining through on his face.

He squinted, raising a hand as he swung his legs off the couch. How did he get down here? He was supposed to be upstairs writing.

Lucas began to walk, feeling a bit light-headed and nauseous. If he had a had headache, he would've thought that he was drinking and took a nap.

Lucas stopped by the kitchen sink, grabbing a glass and filling it with water. He drank three glasses before finally being satisfied.

Lucas walked up the steps, a bit stronger now, and stepped into his office. He rubbed his eyes and let out a yawn. He wanted to go back to sleep.

He glanced around the room as he walked to his desk. He felt as though he was... Missing something.

Lucas shook his head, and pulled his seat out to sit down in. He started up his computer and waited. He glanced at the corner were a small stack of books laid. An overturned, black, composition notebook was beside it.

Tears burned his eyes and Lucas didn't know why, but he couldn't stop. He thought that needed to call Adrian. That something was important and he couldn't find it.

Before he knew it, he was flying out of his chair, stumbing over books as he ran down the steps, and right into the counter where the landline sat. He quickly punched in the number he had long since memorized, and held the receiver to his ear.

It took a few rings, but someone picked up. "Westchester Medical Center, Galliante speaking, how may I help you?"

"I need to speak with Adrian Romero," Lucas said. He wanted to say it was an emergency, but was it? He felt like it was an emergency, but he didn't even know why he was so panicked.

"And, who is this?"

"Lucas Donovan. I--I'm a friend," he hesitiated. "It's--It's an emergency, could you just---"

"You're lucky, Lucas. He's just coming out now," the woman said. There was a pause, and then he heard a different voice.

"Hey, Lucas, is everything okay?" It was Adrian. Lucas breathed, closing his eyes and clutching the phone.

"I... Yeah, everything's fine," he breathed. "No, no. It's not. I..." He rubbed his temple. "Something's wrong. I don't know, but..."

"What's wrong? Where's Ekka? Is she okay?"

Lucas blinked, confused, "Ekka? Who's Ekka?"

There was a silence. "Ekka," Adrian said, more slowly. "Remember? You found her at the gas station. She's been in our house for nearly two days --- what do you mean, who's Ekka?"

"I don't know what that is," Lucas shook his head. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Luc," Adrian said slowly. "Did you hit your head?"

"No!" Lucas snapped. He would feel it if he had a bad fall. "I just---! I don't know what you're talking about!" Lucas was getting frusterated now.

"I'm coming home," he said quickly. "Don't go anywhere, don't lie down, don't cook. Just go sit on the couch and don't move. I'll be there in fifteen minutes." Then, the line died.

~.•*•.~

Just as Adrian said, he arrived in fifteen minutes. Lucas opened the door and shut it behind him. Adrian hugged him, and then looked around. "She isn't here, is she?" He whispered.