vingt-et-un

Chapter Twenty-One:

Ekka stared at the wall for days. Sometimes,  Xavier would come down to check on her, but Ekka didn't move. She had no reason to, now. Brownie came to her side and moaned softly. Ekka didn't move go scratch his head. Xavier put some kind of collar on Brownie, probably to keep track of where he was going. Ekka didn't try to take it off.

Ekka heard the door open and close again, and she vaguely wondered if it was Xavier. Was he bringing her food? She hadn't heard from him in a few days. Nobody has come, actually.

"Hello?" A voice on the other end of the glass said as they tapped it lightly. Ekka didn't recognize the voice, but she didn't turn either. "Are you awake?" Brownie lifted his head, then he moaned and laid back down. "Hmm... This might wake you up a bit."

A few seconds of silence passed, then Ekka heard a loud impact hit the glass. A minute later, it shattered and fell away. This made Ekka turn around, confused. When she saw what had happened, her heart skipped a beat.

The thick glass barrier between herself and this man was gone. The man had a smoking gun in his hand, and a smile on his face. Around his head, was the headband Mandla's men wore. "Hello, Ekka. I'm glad we could finally meet." Then he disappeared.

Ekka looked around for him, but he was nowhere to be seen. Brownie growled angrily, getting up, as she felt something cold press against her head. He was behind her.

Ekka didn't move. She didn't speak, she didn't cry. She just waited for the man to finally shoot her --- end her life. However, that didn't seem to be the case. "You're going to come with me. Don't try to make a sound, don't try to run, or I'll shoot you. Is that clear?"

Ekka didn't say a word. She breathed shallowly for a few seconds, then she laid back down on her bed. "Wha---!? I said get up!"

Ekka didn't respond. It was getting harder to see now. Her stomach burned and her eyesight was wobbly. The man was angry.

He yanked her up by the hair, and Ekka let out a cry of pain. Then, he hit her between the shoulders with the gun. He was strong, and the strike hurt. Ekka crumpled with pain. She had no energy anymore, she didn't think she could get up, much less follow this man wherever he wanted her to go.

"Get up!" He hissed, "Now!"

"I..." Ekka took a second to speak. She needed water, her throat was dry and raspy. "I... Ca--Cannot..." The man didn't like this. He hit her again, and again, and Ekka cried out on a few, tears coming to her eyes.

She began to see double and her body trembled. The man tried to yank her out of the bed, but she was just dead weight, she didn't move at all. He was frustrated, and Ekka saw black smoke roll off of him and unto her.

She felt the coldness of it quickly, and her eyes widened. She remembered that feeling, the feeling of nothing, of a void. Ekka began to tremble, and for the first time, actually tried to run away.

She squirmed under his arm, trying to move away where the smoky blackness was. This did nothing, he was gripping her arm so tight. "No," she begged, her breathing suddenly getting fast. She couldn't go back there! She couldn't go back there! "No! Please! No---!" Then, the darkness consumed her face.

Ekka screamed, and fell into a coughing fit immediately. At least, she thought she did. She couldn't see anything. She couldn't hear anything. And it was all so cold. Like ice was poured down her entire body.

Ekka shivered, her heart racing, and tears burning her eyes. She sobbed, her cold hand coming to her cold hair, her cold fingers gripping it.

Ekka was going to die. She was going to die alone. With no one anymore. Nobody knew about her. Nobody cared for her. She was going to die. She was nothing. She was as empty as this void.