Chapter 2

I took deep sharp breaths when we finally stopped running, Emmett was panting while crouching down. As for Jason, he came back to his senses when he passed out on the floor. Coughing and inhaling oxygen like his life depended on it. As if he was drowning in his thoughts, almost killing him.

We were all a mess. That was the fifth time we tried to make peace with the armored guards of the capitol, which ended up a disaster yet again.

Back at our hideout, our rebel base, we all crashed onto the floor like how Jason had earlier. Looking around the place, I heaved a sigh, the place was filthy. Though that is an exaggeration, we all had our own messes and as long as we kept it to ourselves, we'll be fine. This abandoned dump we hide in is our home.

Though, not completely a "dump" cleaning here and there made that less evident.

After cleaning ourselves, each person went to their own rooms while Jason left to the kitchen to prepare a meal. He felt that if he wasn't doing much on the team, he can use his culinary skills to cook meals for the all of us.

'Sorry for not helping out the team again Lei, I let you and Emmett down' repeating an apology as he was cutting ingredients. "It was the voices...they kept talking louder and louder, I couldn't focus properly. I had a hard time thinking up of ways to get out of the situation, but ended up in having my head in the clouds with the echoes in my brain while Emmett lashed out. I'm sorry Leilah..I don't even understand why I'm still here with you guys. I should have handed myself to the capitol guards long time ago. I sho-"

Stop.

I had to stop him before he goes even further. Jason was the youngest in our group, the voices are making him get nervous and gain negative thoughts about not helping us with the rebellion.

'Listen to me Jace, you are an important part of the team even if you don't think so. Don't let those thoughts or negative emotions get to you. I know you don't mean what you said about turning yourself in, me and Emmett care so much. We're all friends and friends help, care and protect each other no matter what happens. We all love who you are so there is no need to change yourself to please others as well.'

Jason lets a whimper slip through his lips, sniffling a bit. "T-thanks Leih..."

'No problem Jace'

"Oh and Leilah?"

'Hm?'

"Dinner will be done soon"

I released a small smile. I can already smell his wonderful cooking from downstairs.

'Okay sounds good, I'll come down with Emmett when it's ready.'

Nodding to himself, he continues to cook and prepare the meal.

Speaking of Emmett...how is he doing right about now.....