Chapter Five

Theoden (pronounced Thay Oh Den as per babynamesworld.com) Oakenshield had arrived and was said to be a very healthy weight and length, instantly becoming the focus of his royal parents' world, particularly his mother Briella who refused to leave him if it could be avoided and nine times out of ten it was with Thorin happily excusing her from certain things that were relating to the way things were in the world outside the palace walls simply because of the fact that he did not want any unnecessarily extra stress on her when she had their son to be dealing with.

One of the first important visitors to Erebor after the news had spread of the new arrival right the way through Middle Earth was, quite naturally, Lord Elrond and Arwen, both of who appeared to be rather determined to see for themselves the one who many had privately referred to as the halfling (half elf, half dwarf). "Hello Arwen" Briella said softly as the elf Princess opened the door tot he bedroom she shared with Thorin as quietly as the heavy oak would allow, receiving a brilliant smile in the process, "Your Majesty" Arwen replied with a giggle and a smile.

At the same time as the news of the new Prince spread through Middle Earth, so too did news that Legolas Greenleaf was now the King of Mirkwood after one of Thranduil's own had turned on and killed him outright. "At least he was always decent towards me" Briella commented as Thorin joined her and Arwen, followed by Elrond, who was just as happy to see Briella happy as she was to actually see him, but the shocker news followed soon after the first: that he had taken Tauriel as his bride, something that would have almost certainly shocked his father.

Legolas and Tauriel, as leaders of the Mirkwood elves, received the obligatory invitation to the christening/baptism of the new heir towards the Erebor throne and, as expected, they both went, Legolas more amiable towards Thorin than his father, especially since Thorin was married to one of Legolas' own kind, in spite of the fact that it had been years since the Queen had actually set foot in the Woodland realm, though with Legloas on the throne it at least seemed as though she would be prepared to make some visits, but she quietly resolved to never go there without Thorin's company.

As unhappy as Thorin had been in regards to the attitude of the late Thranduil to Briella and their then unborn son, it seemed as though he too was willing to let the past lie if there was to be any hope at achieving lasting peace between Erebor and Mirkwood, particularly if Tauriel had her way and more often than not it turned out that she did, quite a bit in fact whereas Briella was proving her complete polar opposite, knowing when to step in as the Queen of Erebor and when to back off, leaving the consequence decisions with Thorin.

"He is such a mother's boy" commented Legolas as he watched Theoden struggle and squirm in his father's arms and yet was as calm as anything with Briella, causing the Dwarf king to smile and nod as he watched his son's eyes close against Briella's shoulder, "Maybe it is something he can sense about you Thorin; is there something that is causing you to not be as calm as Briella" Tauriel queried as Briella's eyes quickly turn to her husband's. He knew he was cornered so Thorin nodded, explaining that Orcs were attempting to breach the walls and threatening his family.

"More specifically Briella and Theoden" Thorin continued to explain to Legolas as the two men left the room, having been unable to reveal any specific targets of the Orcs in front of his wife, especially when she was one of them. "You will have the Woodland elves to help if it becomes a necessity" Legolas said as he put a hand on Thorin's shoulder, the nastiness of the past dissipating, "Just try and keep Briella from finding out if possible; she does not as a new mother need unnecessary stress and Theoden will pick up on it as he had yours".

Thorin nodded. The last thing he wanted was Briella finding out that she and their son were on the Orcs hit list, along with Kili and Fili, anyone that could possibly take the throne of Durin when Thorin passed away. "The name Azog is not to be mentioned when Briella is within earshot" Thorin stated to his gathered guards and palace workers, "She has enough to deal with now that she is a new mother without having to worry about where or when the Orc is about to strike in its attempt to take out both her and our baby son".

In his desperation to secure the safety of his wife and newborn son, Thorin brought Gandalf the Grey back to Erebor, asking that he put some kind of enchantment spell on both the tot's nursery and on their private chambers, which was where Theoden seemed to be spending a greater deal of his time as neither he nor Briella were yet able to let him out of their sight for too long, even if it was to have some time with Kili and Fili who seemed to already be as deeply enchanted by the Erebor heir as what his parents were.

The christening ceremony went off without so much as a single hitch, largely Thorin had quietly suspected to the fact that Gandalf had sneakily cast a spell over the palace to try to protect it as best he was able from any kind of attack. "He is a true Durin" Gandalf remarked upon hearing Theoden cry for the first time since arriving, causing Thorin to smile and nod in his agreement as Briella excused herself and took their son from the room, suspecting the level of noise was unsettling for him, and it turned out that she had been absolutely right.