Chapter 1

I was so scared waiting for this party to be over. Sitting against the pale, white wall in the cold basement, I could barely hear anything over the loud, booming bass coming from the speakers on the crowded living room on the main floor. It was dark, and the strobe lights flashing everywhere were the only things barely illuminating the foggy air.

I was invited to Luke Puerto's graduation party, and no one told me that he was providing alcohol. I didn't come with any friends, and the people I knew weren't those who I hung around with. My phone was dead, and my parents know to pick me up at 11. The party looked so innocent at 5 when I arrived, but it immediately turned the other way once 9 struck and the parents left with just high schoolers attending during the late evening .

I didn't know Luke that well, but we used to be neighbors when we were younger. I figured I should go to his party just to see how he was and what he would be doing with the rest of his life after high school since he didn't attend our school anymore. There was scarcely anyone I knew there, and anyone I did know was completely wasted. That is why I was sitting against the wall completely hopeless of what to do.

I fiddled with my phone trying to do everything I could to turn it on, but I couldn't do anything to turn it on even if I tried so. Tears started pooling in my eyes and eventually overflowed and started streaming down my cheeks. It was then when I felt a hand touch my shoulder.

"Alexis, what are you doing here?" Said someone with a surprisingly calming voice among the rancid others. I jumped away from this person, as I thought he would try to hurt me.

"Don't touch me." I demanded, hoping he would go away.

"It's okay, I didn't know it would be this crazy either." Once he spoke again, I recognized the voice that was coming from this person. I moved the hair from my face to get a closer look at him.

"Noah, is that really you?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yes, it's me! Oh, I'm so glad I found someone I knew! Let's get out of here before it gets any worse, okay? I want you to be safe, and this not where to be in order for you to be safe. Come on." Noah stretched out a helping hand and I gladly took it. I wobbled a little standing up, for I had been sitting for quite a while. Once I was completely balanced, he led me through the hordes of people to get to somewhere open.

The smell of alcohol was present in every room we went through, and if we came across one that didn't, it was occupied by a couple trying to do things that were vastly inappropriate for my eyes to witness. My mind didn't come to the realization yet that I was finally with someone I knew, someone that I felt safe with. Once we found a room on the second floor that seemed quite spacious and with no one present in it, we walked in and immediately locked the door.

"Sit down right here, and I'll go find you something to drink." He said to me. I gave him a bewildered look, as I once thought he was trying to save me from the dirty dancing and the hot, crowded rooms and the alcohol and the sex. "Oh, I'm sorry that sounded wrong to you. I meant that I was going to go try to find some water for you."

My heart died down once he reassured me of his true goal.

"Alexis, look at me." He said, stooping down to me sitting on the side of the bed in the room.

I never knew Noah Hull as well as I should have, but when I looked into his eyes staring back at me, I knew I should have. He played basketball on the school team I did, and he he also played in the worship band at church with me, him playing lead guitar and me playing bass. I never would have pictured him coming to this party in the first place, not to mention him coming to my dire rescue. He had illuminating blue eyes that pulled me in as soon as I looked at them. The tiny hints of green enveloped by the blue made his eyes seem sprightly as they danced around my face. "You're going to be okay, I promise. You have nothing to worry about. I called my parents and they're on their way right now to come get me, and surely they would give you a ride home as well. You all right?"