Chapter 2

"Love is so stupid, Kally." I grunted as I threw my phone across the counter. I began to slowly turn in the spinning seat I was perched in. I put my elbow on the counter beside me and looked out the window that was behind her. "Kally." I said again as she looked up from the homework she was finishing.

"Yes, yes, tell me about all the problems there are infatuated with love." She said, resting her head in her hands and sarcastically being interested in what I had to say.

"You know, if he didn't come rescue me--no, if I didn't even go to that stupid party at all, I wouldn't be in this stupid mess. He never would have gotten my number, I never would've to meet his parents, and I would most definitely be getting more sleep from no longer having to listen to the incessant phone calls I get from every night." I complained, poking my pencil in my hand in the air at her. She looked at me for a long while before answering.

"You know, if you keep poking that pencil anymore, there's not going to be a lot more attitude coming from your mouth; so you better stop now, honey." I blinked my eyes stupidly at her, still comprehending what she said as she dipped her head back into her textbook, my pencil still hanging in the air at her.

"Okay, fine, maybe I am being a bit dramatic, but can't you admit that he should have called me the night after that party? I mean, Luke got arrested for having that ridiculous party, and Noah's parents knew neither of us had been drinking, right? Maybe I should've been more responsible and charged my phone before I came, but that part doesn't even compare to the irate feelings I am experiencing right now!" I yelled, slamming my pencil on the counter. "Are you even listening to me right now?"

"Between learning the effects of potassium reacting with plutonium and your thespian stories, yes." She pleasantly smiled at me, again perching her head in her hands. 

"You know, you're lucky you're my best friend, and that I can vent without you having to say anything. Most of my friends have to agree with everything I'm saying, and by golly if they even say I'm wrong once--phew, is it hot in here? It's getting really warm in here." I said, tugging at my shirt to cool my neck. 

"This may be just a theory, but has the arrival of your lovely time of the month presented itself?" Kally asked without looking up from her Chemistry book. 

"Ugh, yes, and it's KILLING me. Let me tell you, I have never had so many bad cramps in my life before. Ever. Period. End of story." I noticed the sound of the fan whirring above me once I stopped speaking. "You know what, I'm going to go for a run, just, just a little, you know, pick-me-up run, and I'll be back in five minutes while you finish your, your, whatever you're working on. Are you seriously working in your college textbook already? We just graduated for Pete's sake, and wow it is hot in here..." I trailed off as I went upstairs to jump into my tank top and spandex shorts to go running. "I'll be back, Kal."

"Okay, I'll be right here when you come back; I promise." She replied as I walked out the door.

Kally and I had been best friends since early grade school, and we were known as "the twins" to our entire class. We did everything together, whether it be us wearing the same clothes to school award banquets or always pairing up for projects. Her sense of humor was something that I really enjoyed about her. She could tell one the truth in the most serious but in every way funny as possible, as she had just done. If I had to describe her in one word, it would be heartfelt without taking two seconds to think about it.

As I rounded the corner of Larkins and Waxley, I jabbed my headphones in and cranked up the music playing on my iPod. I thought about Noah and when I would decide to call him back, but once I started running, I felt fearless and powerful and on top of the world. This feeling, however, got the best of me as soon as I ran into a trash can sitting out too far on someone's driving. The only exception here was that it wasn't just someone's drive way; it was Noah Hull's.