Chapter 1

Chapter One

            Elle walked silently down the vacant sidewalk, pulling her leather jacket around her so she could barely breathe in the cold air. She felt so alone. There was probably nobody around for miles because of the cold. To her, it wasn’t even that cold. People were just big babies that couldn’t handle a little cold air nipping at their face.

            She rounded a corner and bumped into a wall of flesh, startling her. She looked up. It was Chase.

            “Hey,” he greeted smugly.

            “Hey,” she simply said, trying to walk around him to get to the trailer park where her sister lived.

            “Wait, I got something for you,” he said, digging around in his baggy jeans pocket, and Elle rolled her eyes.

            “I don’t want a cigarette right now, Chase.” She whispered, once again trying to make her way around his body, but he stopped her.

            She stopped, clearly annoyed by his presence. She didn’t want to be bothered at this point. All she wanted to do was get to the trailer park to see her niece.

            “Just take it,” he placed the cigarette in her cold hand.

            “Chase, just go back to the guys, okay?” she politely asked of him, pushing him aside.

            He let Elle through and she began to walk down the lonely sidewalk again. Her boots made a soft rhythm that she began to hum to as she pattered along the pavement. She looked back and Chase was already out of sight.

            She kept walking, listening to the sound of her boots and the sound of her beating heart until she reached the trailer park where her sister and niece lived. She walked up to the old, beaten up door and knocked on it. She waited a couple of seconds before she heard shuffling inside and then the door opened, revealing her sister.

            “Why the hell are you here? You know I don’t like your ass right now.” She spat at Elle.

            “Emma, I’m not here for you, I’m here to see Skylar.” She retaliated, pushing her aside and stepping into the filthy trailer.

            Elle was already mad at Emma because of the condition of the trailer. Now it’s even worse. The crème colored carpet was coming up at the corners, the sink was piled up high with dishes, and Skylar’s things were just thrown around everywhere.

            “Why don’t you just take your bony ass back to your apartment before I drag you there myself,” Emma grabbed Elle’s arm, trying to pull her out of the trailer but she jerked away.

            “Don’t touch me,” Elle growled and pushed Emma away from her.