Chapter Three

Chapter Three

            Elle was in a serious state of shock. Her parents were standing right in front of her. She didn’t know whether to be happy or upset. After all, they did abandon her and Emma when they weren’t even adults. With her mouth gaping open, she took a step towards them.

            “Elle?” her mother looked over at her, her eyes lighting up.

            “Sweetheart,” her father breathlessly said, smiling.

            Elle suddenly felt weak and her stomach churned. She stepped towards them, one shaky step after another. Her heart struck against her chest and her head became fuzzy. She let out a gasp.

            “W-What are you guys doing here?” she asked, trying not to stutter.

            “Sweetheart—“ her father started, but Elle stopped him, putting her hand up.

            “Don’t call me that,” she whispered.

            She was furious with them. How could they just abandon their daughters and come back five years later and think that everything was going to be okay? She could cry at that point but that would make her seem weak.

            “Can we come in?” her mother asked, and Elle slowly nodded before unlocking the door and letting them in.

            She slammed the door and her parents jumped at the sound. She walked them over to the couch and they sat down, with her on the chair in front of them. She sighed, running her fingers through her messy hair. She noticed Skylar had left her pacifier on the coffee table. It must have fallen out when she picked her up. She quickly grabbed it so her parents wouldn’t notice.

            “Well, how have you been?” her mother asked, acting as if nothing had ever happened before.

            “Fine,” Elle responded plainly, her eyes giving off no emotion.

            Elle’s heart was aching. She was truly hurt when they had just left her and Emma when they were only teenagers.  It was extremely painful to come home from school and their parents weren’t there.

            Elle walked into the house, Emma right by her side. They were giggling together. Elle shut the door and dropped her backpack by it. Emma placed hers on the ground beside Elle’s.

            “Mom?” Emma called out, searching around for her mother with Elle close behind.

            Elle parted from Emma and walked around the house in search for either one of her parents. She opened the door to their room, but they weren’t found, and neither were their belongings.

            “Elle?” Her mom snapped her out of her upsetting flashback.