chapter one.

chapter one.
july 23, 1900

The sun rose on the horizon, the skies pink and purple and orange and teal.

And below the sun in the sky, in an alleyway of New York City, lay Gracie Matthews.

Gracie was dozing on the grounds of New York, resting on top of a slim blanket. This would often bring soreness upon her in the mornings, but she rarely allowed it to bother her anymore. She had been doing this for six years.

She slept in a heavy coat that covered up the one memento of her past - a baby blue dress that belonged to her mother. Her hair was on a clump in the ground, some strands of it tangled up in knots. Her hair could either be golden or brown - it depended on whether she stood in the sun or in the shade.

Her eyes were currently closed, but when they were open, they were a dark green. They used to be brighter and full of joy, shining with the glow of a star. But as her innocence was in ripped away from her, so was the light of her eyes.

Gracie's breathing got lighter and lighter as she began to stir. Soon enough, she'd be fully awake and ready to start the day. She awoke as the sun rose in the distance, the light nearly blinding her.

Gracie let out a groan, shielding her eyes from the developing morning. She rolled over onto her side, holding her wrist up to her eyes. On it was a golden watch that glistened brilliantly under daylight. 5:37.

Shit. I'm supposed to be there by 6:00.

It took a minute, but Gracie managed to pull herself out of the blankets and stand up. She hid behind the few pieces of apparel she had strung on a clothing line, not wanting anyone to know what she had been plotting for days. She quickly slipped out of her dress, throwing on drab pants instead. She picked a beige shirt off of the clothesline. Call her crazy, call her stupid, call her a disgrace, but she preferred boy shirts and pants to the stupid girl clothes she was expected to wear. They made her feel as though she was more capable of moving around and participating in more activities. She thought of wearing girl clothes almost as though she was enslaved while wearing them. As a girl, you couldn't get paid for labor as much as a boy could in one lifetime if you worked for ten lifetimes. It was just how the world revolved.

The clothing on the line began to sway back and forth. Gracie covered herself up with her shirt. Her eight-year old sister, Olivia, stuck her head through the clothes, peering at her. "What is... what is ya doin'?" Olivia asked, her voice lower-pitched and raspy.

Olivia was donning a cotton nightgown. Once upon a time, it was white. But it had picked up dust and ashes and pieces of garbage that left it a hybrid of different colors as it aged.

Gracie allowed herself to let out some air, her tensed up body able to relax. "You scared me, Olivia."

"Well... what is ya doin'?" Olivia repeated.

Gracie put a hand on her younger sister's shoulder, frustrated that she had to spill the truth. "I'm goin' over to The World to sell some papes."

Olivia's eyes shined with wonder. "You're... gonna be a newsie? But... boys is the only ones allowed to do that," she stated. As though that isn't obvious.

Gracie allowed her teeth to chew on her bottom lip. "Yeah, I know. That's why I'm dressed up like this."

Olivia studied Gracie's outfit. "Are you Mulan now?" She said, the left corner of her mouth turned upwards.

"What? No!" Gracie laughed and ruffled Olivia's hair. "I'm just dressing up as a boy. That doesn't make me Mulan. Maybe it reminds you of Mulan, but I ain't her. At the end of the day, I'm still yer sister." She tied her hair up into a messy bun, split ends sticking out everywhere. Not like anyone will see it. She pulled on a cap over her hair, covering her bun. Now came the hard part. "Hey, um, Olivia."

"Yeah?"

"You can NOT. TELL. ANYONE. This is how Ise gonna to be able to afford to feed us and buy us clothing and keep us warm, and if anyone important finds me out, we'll have to work in a factory or a sewing shop or a slaughter house. I don't want to do that. Please. Dontcha tell anyone."

Olivia nodded. "I won't."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Good." Gracie smiled and pressed her lips to her little sister's forehead before scooping up a bowl. She selected a slice of bread from it and nibbled on it as she looked around for a tote bag. She found it and picked it up, finishing her slice of bread. "I'll be back in four hours."

"What am I supposed to do until then?"

Gracie sighed and handed Olivia a few dimes. "Go get yourself some breakfast, maybe go to the park or library, I don't care. Just... don't go-"

"To the other side of town, blah blah blah, I know," Olivia rolled her eyes. "I know where I is allowed to go."

"Okay, good. I'll see ya later, Liv." Gracie smiled before slipping her shoes on and rushing across the streets of Manhattan, ready to face whatever the day had in store.

At least, that was what she told herself.

I am ready for this.

I am so ready for this.

..Fuck.. I'm not ready.