chapter twelve.

chapter twelve.

Several hours later, Crutchie was still sitting on the edge of the top bunk, his legs dangling over the side. He watched them swing back and forth, his mind blank.

The other boys had left to go eat at Jacobi's Deli God-knows-how-long-ago. When they told Crutchie to go with them and he'd declined, they'd surprisingly left him alone. Maybe the newsies knew him well enough to know that something must have been really wrong if Crutchie, the most outgoing of them all, didn't want to talk or go out. As Race left, he even put a hand on Crutchie's shoulder and said, "Hope ya feel better, kid." He gave Crutchie a smile before popping his cigar back in his mouth and rushing out after the others. He didn't make any snide comments, or make a smartass remark, which never happened with Race. He was Race, he was always an asshole. Crutchie was shocked when Race had shown sympathy for him, and he kind of hated it. It just wasn't like Race.

The only other newsie in the Lodging House was Jack. He'd probably left by now as well. Not that Crutchie wanted to talk to Jack. Or anyone. He really wasn't in the mood. He didn't have the will to move, or talk, or sleep, or do anything, really. He might as well have been dead. And if he was dead, he wouldn't have been complaining about it.

Crutchie wasn't even thinking. His mind was as blank as his face. All of his emotions were gone.

Suddenly, he heard footsteps. His head shot up and he saw Jack walking down the stairs.

Jack plopped himself down by Crutchie. Still, he was a good foot or so away from him. He knew very well to keep his distance from Crutchie when he was upset. "Hey," He said. He was rather quiet, as though he didn't want to be heard.

Crutchie looked away from Jack. "Hey," He said. He opened his mouth, intending to tell Jack to go away, but he was cut off by Jack speaking.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled. Crutchie still didn't face him.

"Okay," Crutchie responded, annoyance in his tone. He had been expecting this, and wasn't surprised that it had happened. He knew Jack too well. He thought that Jack would've known him well enough to know that he didn't want to be apologized to.

"Really... Crutchie, really, I am."

"Uh-huh." Crutchie nodded, not even glancing at Jack. He got up and grabbed his crutch before turning to Jack. "What're ya gonna say now? Really, what are ya gonna say? Tell me. Are ya gonna say some shit about how you didn't know how much you hurt me, and that ya promise to change your ways? Well, let me refresh your memory. You said that ya'd do that a month ago, and you hasn't changed one bit. Maybe you changed for a day or two, but after that? Nope, it's back to the 'Katherine is more important than anythin' else, includin' my best friend of over seven years' routine. Yeah, you'se not gonna change. And I'se learned that the hard way," Crutchie said. He wasn't yelling like he was before, he said it as though it were normal to say it to your best friend who wants to make things right with you. He wasn't even raising his voice.

He could tell that Jack didn't have a response. Jack Kelly always had something to say, but Crutchie had left him speechless. He didn't even open his mouth to speak. He flinched and moved away from Crutchie instead. "Yeah. That's what I thought," Crutchie said. He shot Jack a glare. Crutchie Morris, who always had the smile that spread like butter, actually glared at Jack. Jack saw this, and the expression on his face was unreadable.

After a while, Jack finally spoke up. "Crutchie... look. I don't really know what to say, except for that I'm sorry. I'm so goddamn sorry. I know you don't wanna forgive me, and I don't blame you. I shouldn't have neglected you like that. And I should've tried so much harder to change. I should have, but I was too busy tryin' to convince myself I still loved Kat."