40. The Stag and Hen Part 1

The drive wasn't as smooth sailing as the girls had desired. Three toilet stops later, Kate was beginning to wonder whether she'd have been better off bringing a bucket and she wee along with them; instead of four crates of cider which were only enhancing the setbacks.

"Kate, what is that on your face?" Jess slurred from the back seat, stroking the condensation off the window.

"What?" Kate twisted around to look in the wing mirror.

"That thing, the disapproving frown. Get rid of it, it is not allowed in this car this weekend." With a final eye roll, she sat herself back so that she was facing the road. The buildings had gradually become a rarity as they neared their destination. Bricked buildings were being replaced by hedgerows and quaint cottages. Feeling more at home already, she took a lung full of air and stretched her arms above her head.

Just as she was getting comfortable, she felt her phone buzz against her thigh. It was Tom letting her know he had just got to the airport and was waiting for his gate. She considered texting him back but seeing as Dominique was sending up zed's, Jess had replaced her hand with her tongue and was licking the window clean, she decided she would give him a bell before he boarded.

"Hey you! How are you? How's the journey been so far?"

"Hey beautiful. I am fabulous thank you, it has been... interesting to say the least." He laughed.

"Go on..." A smirk emerging on her rose tinted lips.

"Well, your brother is a nightmare and we haven't even left the country yet. As for Hemmingsworth. Don't even get me started." He chuckled, clearly eyeing his friends up in disproval.

"Glad to see they are all behaving like adults then. I say don't tell me too much and we can have a proper conversation in secret later. I am being watched like a hawk by a certain someone right now. Literal daggers are going in my back and...." She turned her head to check on Dominique who, remarkably, was still dribbling on her chin; fast asleep. "Are you seriously going to sleep the whole way there?" Kate giggled and readjusted herself.

"Let me guess, the dagger shooting is from Jess, the snoring is Dominique and the hawk is Alice?" his tone sounded as though he was smiling ear to ear.

"That was scary. Please tell me you haven't set up a camera in her car?"
"Well... of course not darling. I just know you and your friends very well."
"Clearly. So as I was leaving I saw this fig.." Kate stopped talking as she could hear the announcement being made at the airport.

"Flight SC002 is ready to board. Could all passengers please begin to make their way to gate 2 please. Those flying in First Class might like to use entrance 2B as you will be seated before everyone else. Thank you, we hope you enjoy your flight."

"Right my dear, it seems it is time for me to depart."

Kate sniffed. "Okay my dear, have a safe flight don't drink too much you know what it does to your stomach."
"Yes mum." He laughed, his case trundled alongside him as the group of rowdy gents headed towards their flight. "I know, I will be thinking of you the whole time, fiancé."
"Me too, fiancé."
"I love you my darling,"
"I love you too, anyway go go go, the lads are waiting!" She waved her hand as though swatting him onto the plane.

"Okay love, love you bye!"
"Love you bye!" Just as she was about to hang up, she heard a familiar voice in the distance, "Oi Hiddleston, was that my sis? Did she sound drunk, I bet she is mortal by now she-." She threw her phone back on the top of her bag.

"The cheek. Although chance would be a fine thing." Alice had momentarily taken her eyes off the road to look at her.

"What's that hun?"