Black Velvet

***A/N sexual content***

1997

"We need to talk" it's raining, and the moving van just left the last of Mina's things at her and Denny's new place downtown. Stevie and I are helping take out dishes when my grandson's mother stops in mid motion to address us. Denny's racecar bed and furniture has already been set up and assembled, he'll be home from the community center soon and I can't wait to see his face "Well I'm listening talk" Stevie bumps my arm shaking her head at how rude my tone is, I grumble an apology.

"I'm glad you two are helping me and Denny out but-" another box of plates. For a woman who had zero edible food when we met she certainly has a lot of dishes "I don't like you telling me what to do, you aren't my boss just because you have money" Stevie clasps her hand over her shirt front gently "Mina we don't think that-Lindsey" I have no illusions about what I've been doing. If she wants the money and a place to live she'll put up with it "Is there something wrong with the apartment?" tugging at her sleeve Mina shakes her head rapidly, her brown hair failing in her face.

"No-it's really nice. Nicer than anything I could ever afford, and Denny's toys and clothes and furniture and all the food-I can't give him any of this stuff. But I'm still his mother, and he acts like the two of you hung the moon" frustrated she leans her small form against the counter top behind us her fingers picking at her sleeve. She's shaking, she needs a fix. I put down another empty box of plates and smooth a hand through my own curls "We're not trying to take Denny away from you, but I'm not going to begrudge him a few things if I can give them to him. If this is too much for you than I can always petition the court-" as soon as the words leave my mouth Stevie bumps my arm her brow furrowed.

"Yeah, lawyers court. Something else I can't afford, I don't stand a chance and you know it" playing peace keeper Stevie moves between us "Lindsey's just being speculative, he's not threating anything" the hell I'm not. I was timid about getting Connor back, I trusted the system and played nice. Not this time, I won't lose Denny the way I lost my son "You did the best you could after Connor-Hunter passed away. I thank you for that, but you don't have a steady source of income, you have a transitory lifestyle, and while you seem like you've been clean for the last few weeks that could change in an instant" cutting to the chase I cross my arms in front of her blocking Stevie.

"Denny deserves to live in a nice environment with loving caring adults watching him, not a default guardian who'd rather be getting high and screwing some diner chef than making sure he's got a hot meal when he comes home from school. I told you already we can do this without you, and I'm more than willing to cut you out entirely" Mina looks away angry but refusing to be confrontational "It's up to you, Denny loves you. If you love him then pull your shit together and be a mother to him" sniffling Mina nods. Conversation over, crisis averted. Stevie-pissed off at me, but she's not going to jump my ass in here.

"Mina we don't mean to be obtrusive, but after so many years and all the mistakes we made with Connor we're-we're not sure how this works any more than you are. You're Denny's mom no one in the world can take that from you and we wouldn't try" Stevie puts an arm around the younger woman and she accepts her hug wiping at her red eyes. I go back to unpacking, finding a box of toys for Denny's room and leaving them in the kitchen for the time being.

A few minutes later Stevie walks in arranging figurines on Denny' shelves "Check it out this was the last one in the store" grinning I flash a life size Superman action figure at Stevie standing it up next to Denny's bed "He'll love it, but he loves everything we get for him. Maybe-maybe we should back off a little, this can't be easy for Mina" I'm only half listening putting new sheets on the bed, he'll be home in thirty minutes I want to start supper for him "Steph she's just feeling left out, we're shiny and new and Denny's only ever had her. I guarantee after a few months he'll think we're just two more lame adults" and by then I'll know how serious Mina is about cleaning herself up.