Chapter 21- Cora

Authors Note:

I apologize for the strange video but if you pay attention to the lyrics they go with the chapter, which is why I chose this song. FUN FACT: All the songs I post with the story correspond with the chapters theme. Enjoy this chapter!

All of the things Louis told me last night were, to say the least, hard to believe. However, it all kind of made sense at the same time. There was no way that humans were the only 'highly intelligent' beings on this earth. Plus, if someone tries hard enough they can practically become invisible, disintegrating themselves into the mass of people that fill the world around us, and that's exactly what these extraordinary creatures did to blend in with society. To avoid confrontation or judgment from humans. Thoughts raced through my mind all night and I could barely get any sleep. The very core of my being aced to know what creatures made up the rest of the guard. Ghosts? Witches? Mermaids? Genies? I couldn't bare not knowing! It was eating me from the inside out, I wanted, no, needed to know all about these new presences in my life. The first I will ask is Cora, because she's my roommate there is no way she can escape my curious clutches.

As morning approached the soft blue moonlight, that flowed into the room from the bay window, was replace with the golden and rose hues of the morning sunrise. I hadn't gotten much sleep throughout the night. Yet, I was so pumped full of energy from my own curiosity, that I had not cared. Today, I hadn't bothered to wait for my alarm to wake me with its boisterous song. I had simply turned it off before it could do so. I let my bare feet hit the cool wood floor and made my way to the bay window. I couldn't help but look at the world with fresh eyes. It was as if I was once again an infant, ignorant to the mysteries of the world. Seeing, feeling, living in a world I knew nothing of, but growing eager to learn more. I knew Cora would be exhausted from patrolling yesterday but she had been asleep for around 2 hours now. That's enough for me to wake her, right? Yeah. I approached her bed cautiously, watching her, not so much as to not wake her, but to observe her. Maybe I could figure this out. I thought. A couple minutes passed and my brain was empty, I hadn't the slightest clue of what she might be. I had to move to my last resort, waking her. Throwing caution to the wind, I jumped on top of her bed letting my weight bounce her into the air.

Cora let out a shriek then she looked at me groggily, "What the actual fuck."

I giggled, "Good morning!"

She rolled her eyes and collapsed down into the sheets again, "You know that night class students need sleep too, and this is our time to sleep!" she said, her voice muffled by the supple covers.

"Did louis explain to you guys what happened yesterday?" I asked

"With Kai, or the 'talk' you guys had?" she asked, propping up on the bed.

"So, he did tell you." I figured

"Vaguely, yes."

"Good so, you know what I'm going to ask!" I said a wide grin found its way on my face.

She rolled her eyes, "Are you really that desperate to know?" she laughed

I just nodded fiercely.

She giggled, "You really couldn't figure it out?"

I shook my head again, except this time in the opposite direction.

"I'm a shapeshifter." She said simply, I took her features in wide-eyed.

"A shapeshifter?"

She flopped back into a laying position, "Yup, can I sleep now?"

"No!" I shook her violently, "Tell me about your kind, what do you eat? How do you shift? Do you have a real face? Just tell me something!"

She laughed again, "Your so cute. We don't really have a defined diet, I mean we don't survive off of people, normally we eat human food. As for the shifting part," her brows weaved together with worry, "Well that's a bit more gruesome."

"How so?" I asked confused by her expression

"Would you like me to show you?" she said cautiously.

My eyes flickered with surprise and wonder that she would let me watch her shift, "Yes." I answered excitedly.

She laughed, "What animal or person would you like to see?"

I thought for a moment, "Unicorn?" I asked

She laughed again, "I have not heard that one in a while, but I think I can manage it."

Cora lazily lifted from the bed and stripped herself of cloths, I blushed and looked away not wanting to make her feel uncomfortable. I heard her giggle most likely at my modesty. As I braced myself and looked back up, I heard a blood curdling crack of her bones. I quickly realized what she meant by 'gruesome'. However, Cora's features were untouched by fear or pain. She looked as if this was a mundane thing that she was accustomed to. As bones continued to crack and sleek white hair took place over her skin. She crouched on the floor allowing hard hooves to replace her hands and feet as her arms and legs stretched vertically. She stood before my horrified expression, majestically and calmly. I looked into the creatures eyes, and I recognized that they were, indeed, Cora's soft blue ones. I struggled to smile still partially horrified yet, more so shocked by the creature that stood before me. She was a fucking unicorn! Her main and tail were as white as the hair that covered her body. The horn that had spouted between her perked ears looked sharp and dangerous, yet it seemed to glow, coated with a holographic film. Her blue eyes watched me with curiosity and anticipation. They looked intelligent, like she was still human, and was awaiting my reaction.

I took a step words her and her eyes lit up. Somehow, I could tell that she was relieved that I hadn't run or backed away. I raised my had, "May I?" I inquired. The creature bowed its head in response, allowing me to run my hand across the fur of her nose, "Does it hurt?" I asked concerned. Cora shook her head, unable to speak. "Can you use magic?" I asked removing my hand to allow her to look at me. Her eyes looked amused, and she let out a huff that I could only assume was her attempt at laughter. She shook her head again and paced backwards. Her body contorted and she shifted back to her human form in a similar fashion that she had first shifted. After a short while of bones cracking and strange contortions she was back to normal. She squealed excitedly and, still completely naked, pulled me into a tight embrace.

She pulled away from me and I laughed, "What was that for?"

She looked as if she were on the brink of tears, "You weren't scared." She finally said looking down.

"Why would I be scared of you." I said a smile tugging at the corners of my lips.